Forum home Plants

Best plants to drop over a wall

Hi there.

I have a high raised bed made with cement bricks and my customer would like some plants that would be planted in the raised bed and then would grow wide and long so it drops over the wall to cover the cement bricks. Any ideas to what plants would be best?

• Butterfly66Butterfly66 BirminghamPosts: 474
    Prostrate rosemary is lovely for a sunny spot
     If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 3,090
    edited 19 February
    What aspect is the raised bed and does it dry out? And how high? Trachelospermum will trail over the wall (eventually also filling the whole bed). Some of the herbaceous clematis would trail but less aggressively. These aren't going to establish very easily if the bed is bone dry and sun baked though. 

Have you thought of rendering, or simply painting the wall? And is planting something at ground level to hide it possible, e.g. a wall shrub like Cotoneaster or Chaenomeles?
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,211
    You won't get useful answers without more information.
    Approximate location, aspect, available planting depth and how plants are to be watered will all affect possible choices. Preferred colour and whether evergreen or not may also be relevant. :)
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,640
    Does the customer have any requests or ideas that we could work with ?
    Everyone is just trying to be Happy.
  • Also, what sort of soil volume are we talking about? There are quite a lot of cascading plants that would be lovely, but only some will work in smaller soil volumes.

As has been said, exposure's critical too.

Some I have seen well used this way have been ground cover roses, for example, Forsythia suspensa, Genista lydia, Jasminum nudiflorum and Cotoneaster horizontale. It does depend on how far down they have to reach. For a more simple solution (and a smaller space), trailing nasturtiums could work well.
  • TrantionTrantion Posts: 17
    Aubretia is popular around here, and I think it looks gorgeous in spring. I don't have anywhere suitable to plant it, so I haven't looked into what it needs although it does seem to like the sun.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,055
    aubretia is a good shout, I think, if it's a dry wall. Rosemary is less floppy and much taller so has more presence - flowers in winter too, always a bonus. Helianthemum is somewhere between the two and lots of colour choices there.
    “It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.” ― Terry Pratchett
  • Erigeron karvinskiensus?
  • Thank you all guys...

I have some great ideas....