Forum home Wildlife gardening

Wild Life Cameras - Good idea?

Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 7,396
We're wondering whether to get my brother one for his forthcoming big birthday. He has severe heart problems so can't do an awful lot any more but loves bird and wild life watching. He's only got a city paved garden so not sure how much wildlife there would be to watch. Any recommendations please and which brands to go for?

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,883
    I think he might be surprised at the wildlife Lizzie, especially if he's up to putting out bird food each day. They soon learn where the food supplies are !
    This is fairly recent thread with various recommendations 
    https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1048819/wildlife-camera-which-to-buy/p1
    I have a couple which are put out each night, mainly to spot hedgehogs, but there are other visitors as well  :)

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 7,396
    Thanks @AnniD, I didn't think to look at previous threads!
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,883
    That's okay  :)
    I think it's a nice idea for a present. I like checking to see what's been exploring the garden overnight, and in the Summer it picks up the birds as well as it's light much earlier. 
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,197
    My brother in law put one out, to catch"the heron".   It was an otter.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,214
    If it will be mostly for garden use then see if you can find a model that does close focus. Most don't focus well within a couple of metres but there are some that are more suited to filming bird feeders/baths.