Forum home Garden design

Design software / tools

I’m wondering if anyone can recommend some garden design software or similar to help me plan out my new garden. Thank you.

• There aren't any really great ones out there for amateurs. The cheap ones are generally ugly and clunky and the professional ones are a steep learning curve and expensive. You're probably best with a pen and paper. 
  • Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 2,225
    We get quite a few posts with regard to a new garden and how to design it.
    If you can post a pic of your garden and give ideas of how you would like it to look along with what type of plants etc there are many members on the forum who would be pleased to help you and give you plenty of advice. That way you can pick and choose what you think is a good idea and it would save you a lot bother with software. :)

• how would I go about drawing a scale plan? It’s not a standard square garden, lots of odd angles to factor in.
  • ok. So this is in no way to scale but is an approximation of what we have. It’s a south facing garden. We only moved here in October so haven’t really worked out what some of the existing plants are. The second design is a long term plan. The bottom end will probably be a couple of years away. What do you think?
  • Butterfly66Butterfly66 BirminghamPosts: 766
    Try looking at the Shoot gardening planner. You have to pay a subscription but may be just what you want/need to develop a design
     If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero