Forum home The potting shed

bio degradable seed pots advise

Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,638
Morning all ,me again, Im getting ready to start my assorted seed off and would like some advise on which bio pots to get, I see hundreds on the net mostly useing the same pics of what they are selling lots of " best ever stuff" and lots of "rubish" I thought about 8cm 3" sort of size for peas and beans, tommies etc etc,  being started in the greenhouse,due to bird attacks on the allotment ( I,m advised !) and somthing to do of course, So if anyone can recomend a place to get them I would much apreciate it, also I would like to know how much compost do the recomended Sungold tommies need what size pot or in my case in spud bags(in green house) how many litres is required, also im getting for the first time to try a tommy grow bag for 2 plants ,what sort please if poss, right thanks for the help last week that all went very very well, its all coming together ,and due to last weeks advise we now have 4 static bean poles all postcreted in ready for bummper crops,we hope anyway.
avagooden AlanB

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,452
    Peas and beans like a deep root run so when I have grown them I've always used toilet roll innards as these are easy to sit in a suitable pot, fill with compost, sow and water and then plant out when conditions are right.

I use the larger sized coir pots for things like squashes with big seeds and seedlings. Everything else gets sown in cell trays which, tho plastic, are re-usable and can last years if you're careful.  The cells are easy to lift out with an old table fork and pot on into increasing sizes of pot till ready to go out into the borders or polytunnel.  
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,638
    Many thanks OBelixx, when using toilet inards do you cut and bend the bottom or leave open,many different on the net cheers for all your info,
    I leave them open and uncut.  Stacking them in a larger pot, say 6 or 8" (15 to 20cm) wide holds them together and keeps the compost in the tube.  When roots show I water well and tip them out carefully then plant out straight away.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • steveTusteveTu Posts: 937

I think it's still sitting on a cupboard in the conservatory unused and sun bleached. Just looked and it's gone - maybe I binned it or put it in the garage.

UK - South Coast Retirement Campus (East)
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,831
    Here’s mine waiting for leeks and onion seeds to be sown,
    I’ve  had this for many years, you can buy them in two sizes now.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Butterfly66Butterfly66 BirminghamPosts: 474
    Another vote here for toilet rolls and homemade paper pots. I also leave the toilet rolls open, just standing them altogether in a seed tray. My pot maker kit came with several sizes, you could probably use a skinny jar or similar as your mold, am sure there will be how to clips on utube

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 4,035
    I’ve tried several types of so-called biodegradable pots, but I find most just don’t break down and restrict root growth, so end up removing them and they can’t be easily reused. Instead I reuse small plastic pots that perennials came in for years. Otherwise, I agree, toilet rolls/paper pots are the best option.
  • JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 514
    Another vote for toilet roll tubes here. They are great for my sweet peas and other larger seeds. I too have a few rigid plastic seed trays which have so far lasted 7 Years and not showing any signs of breakage. A small amount of well used plastic is not an issue, re use, re use, re use...... yogurt pots and dessert pots are great substitutes for individual pots too.... 

I also have never had much luck with the shop bought bio degradable, they either leach all of the moisture out of the soil or fail to fully break down and I end up with weak plants. 
    I find they're fine if you keep them a bit damp and give a thorough soaking before and after planting out in the ground.