Forum home Plants

Planting Clematis

pitter-patterpitter-patter Posts: 1,237
I’ve ordered three clematis plants and they have arrived in excellent condition. I was going to plant them near some climbing roses, but now I wonder whether I should wait.

I usually follow the recommendation to plant clematis quite deeply, but these three have new growth sprouting at compost level. Would in be alright to bury this new shoots 15 cm under the soil when planting out? Or should I wait until they grow longer?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 67,459
    The ground is cold ... I think I’d keep them in a sheltered spot ... cold frame or similar ... they’ll be fine there for a few weeks until the soil has begun to warm up and they’ve put on a bit more growth ... then you can plant them nice and deep 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 9,139
    I think I would do the same as @Dovefromabove, probably wait till March, by which time those shoots will be much taller.
    Through early morning fog I see
    Visions of the things to be
    The pains that are withheld for me
    I realize and I can see
  • pitter-patterpitter-patter Posts: 1,237
    Thank you. That’s what I’ll do then. 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 24,318
    As they're growing already I would add some liquid feed to the pots when watering so they don't get a check and then, as @Dovefromabove and @punkdoc advise, keep them in a sheltered spot until the ground is warmer.

If you see roots poking out of the bottom I would suggest potting them up a size or two so the roots have more scope to grow.  Who know what the rest of Feb and March will bring in terms of frosts, snow, beasts from the east?  A bit of coddling now will pay dividends in sturdier plants later.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • pitter-patterpitter-patter Posts: 1,237
    Thanks, @Obelixx. I will check to see if they need repotting and will feed them when watering.