Planting a border...advice...
I am planning a border which will be cover 5m by 1.5m of my
garden. I am sticking to taller plants at the back and shorter plants towards
the front. I really like the cottage look…clumped in groups. I have a few
questions and need some advice.
1. Last summer, I added top soil because the soil beneath didn’t look great (amateur guess). This year, I want to make the border levelled the same as the rest of the garden. Do I take the bottom soil out and replace it? Any tips?
2. I have lots of ideas of summer plants I would love to use e.g. lupins, alliums, tulips, foxgloves, honeysuckles, pink elephants etc Should I buy them grown or buy seeds/bulbs?
3. I wanted to use some plants that survive and have some interest in the garden all year round. Any suggestions that will compliment my summer plants?
4. Is there a rule on colours to use? As I don’t want it to look like a jumbled up mess.
5. The border is 5m x 1.5 m how many plants do I need? I want it to look full and filled.
6. Should I add a climber to my fence? Which one?
I’ve added a pic of the current state- I am making more changes. I’m making a bricked path and will take off the small wooden fence so plant all over towards my fence… photo added to show you on next post.
Any other advice-very much welcomed!
Thank you so much!