Forum home Fruit & veg

Chilli Plant Help Please... Newbie here

Hi guys,

I am very new to gardening and wanted to start growing some chillies this year.

I have already sown (about 10 days ago). When could i put them outside? I have a greenhouse but it is not heated. I live in London so its a bit milder here than other parts of the country.

If anyone could give me some advice, that would be great.

Thanks!

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,670
    I suggest you have a read of this - https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/grow-your-own/vegetables/chilli-pepper

Chillies are not frost hardy and don't like to be cold either so you need to pot up every seedling into its own wee pot and keep it watered while it grows and then pot on as needed when it needs more room.   You need to keep them somewhere warm and bright.

Once major bad weather and frosts are over you could move them outside to a cold frame - build or buy - and leave it open on warm days but always close it at night till all danger of cold nights is past. 
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 73,709
    I live in East Anglia with a fairly sheltered garden. I wouldn’t dream of putting chilli plants outside until June. I think you’re going to have to keep yours on the windowsills a good while yet. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 7,740
    I agree. If they get a bit chilly :) they will sulk and sometimes get infections and almost always loose leaves.
    I'd keep them indoors as Dove suggests with plenty of light, but don't leave them near cold glass at night - or they'll sulk...
    Now they've germinated, they're expecting weather conditions as you'd get somewhere like Mexico - not mid winter in the UK :)
    But they will be very happy in your greenhouse when the outside temperature averages around 12C+ at night.
    Warmth and lots of light and they'll be good
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.