Forum home Plants

Rose ID

TimmyMagicTimmyMagic Greater LondonPosts: 90
Hi all... does anyone know what variety this rose is:

I'm aware it's a rugosa rose, but would really like to know the exact type. It has an amazing fragrance but only seems to bloom once. It's currently part of our hedge and I'd like to plant more.

Thanks

• OmoriOmori The NorthPosts: 964
    Looks rather like Charles de Mills, which is a Gallica and once blooming. 
  • TimmyMagicTimmyMagic Greater LondonPosts: 90
    edited 16 February
    Omori said:
    Looks rather like Charles de Mills, which is a Gallica and once blooming. 
    Thank you. Well, I was not aware of that. I have never heard of Gallica, so will look that up!

Any ideas on these ones:

Here they are combined:

I would like to replicate this hedge. I thought we would just plant rugosa roses as this is what I assumed we had. But now it needs a rethink on what to buy. It would be really nice to know as many of these as possible. 
    Thanks Rachel, but I don't have photos of the hips and there aren't any at the moment.

I was actually on that website last night when doing some research. I'm a bit confused about what roses to buy and how many are needed for hedging. I don't understand why the Rugosa red roses ('Rubra') on this website and elsewhere are around £2 a pop, but something like Rugosa 'Roseraie de l’Hay' or 'Hansa' are anywhere from £12 to £20 each for the bare root and Charles de Mills is around £12 to £15. Why are the 'Rubra' and 'Alba' variety so cheap?

I've got a gap of around 3 to 4 metres I'd like to fill.

• edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 1,653
    I agree with @Omori on the 1st one (and the same idea about the ChdM) but to be sure, I would need to see the foliage.
    Other roses, again, hard to tell without more details.
    The yellow one feels familiar but I am not sure, maybe Fruhlingsgold? Does it have foliage somewhere in the mixed photo? The single pink one could be some species hybrid.
    Roses are usually between £10 and £20 but very common ones and roses easy to propagate can be cheaper. In your case, you could choose whatever you like or you could look for suckers from your roses and replant a sucker.
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 4,496
    ..apart from Charles de Mills, of the other 3 roses you want identified..

..the top one is [probably] Roseraie de l'Hay
    ..middle one is R. gallica 'Complicata'
    ..bottom one is 'Nevada'... 
  • In answer to your query about the different prices, it has a lot to do with the rarity of the variety, and the ease of propagation. Mass demand/cultivation can bring prices down; but it's worth going for these sorts of varieties, as they tend to be more beautiful and unusual. The 'Charles de Mills' is a favourite of mine. I'm not convinced the yellow is 'Nevada', it looks too dark for that--I have a feeling I've grown it at some point, and was thinking 'Golden Wings', on account of the pointy buds, but it's not quite right for that either.
  • If you could post photos of the leaves, that would also be a big help. I suspect the one above 'Complicata' of being 'Amadis' but can't quite tell...
    If you could post photos of the leaves, that would also be a big help. I suspect the one above 'Complicata' of being 'Amadis' but can't quite tell...
    There are no leaves at the moment and they are so mixed I couldn't tell which is which. But I will definitely take more photos when they start blooming, as it would be very nice to have an ID for all of them.

Here are photos taken today of the section, slightly further along from the previous photo. This is where I want to plant more roses for heding:

From right to left; escallonia, shrub rose (I know this one - it's Rosy Cushion. Pruned a month or so ago), Photinia Serratifolia (Pink Crispy), Buddleia, Mahonia.

The mahonia is here on the left. We had tree surgeons here yesterday to remove a tree and they dropped it on the mahonia and buddleia. You can see they propped up the mahonia after flattening it, which I was so annoyed about. I was going to remove the buddleia anyway as I've planted another one just the other side. The photinia is one I planted 2 years ago but is out of place and I will move this to make way for rose hedge. 
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 15,569
    I'm pretty sure the second one in the group of three is "Complicata", as @Marlorena said, because I had it at my last house. But I don't think the third is "Nevada", which is paler, I think I agree with @edhelka that it could be "Fruhlingsgold".
    Dordogne and Norfolk