Forum home Plants

Philodendron Xanadu

Hi,
I’m very new to keeping houseplants and was given a Xanadu as a gift recently. Within a couple of weeks, the leaves have developed scar like marks and brown spots. I’ve googled but can’t find any reference to the scar like marks only ‘leaf spot’. Would anybody be able to offer advice on how to treat this?

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 24,318
    It's years since I've grown a philodendron but, as I recall, their main problems are caused by dry air which can lead to spider mite infestations and lead to mottle leaves. 

I suggest you inspect closely, especially the backs of the leaves, and see if you can see teeny red critters and/or web like structures.   The only other problems I know they have are mealy bugs and scale insects but they are more visible.

Either way, you need to wipe every leaf clean with a soft, damp cloth.  Stems too.  Then take the plant pot and plunge it in a bucket of cool water till no further air bubbles appear and then let it drain before putting it back in its decorative pot.   Watering this way guarantees that all parts of the roots and compost get water but don't drown.

You can maintain humidity with a daily misting of soft water - not tap as this can leave calcium marks.  Make sure your plant doesn't get colder than 10C at night and keep it in a well lit position but direct sunlight.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 2,863
    Welcome to the forums.
    I am not sure that your plant is named correctly.
    Below shows Philodendron Xanadu with the deeply lobed leaves...even on young plants.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • Brilliant - thank you. Would you advise treating it with any sort of copper spray? I’m not really sure what that is but I’ve read it by Googling!
  • Oh! Thanks Silver Surfer. I was going from the label that came with the gift. Would you have any ideas what it may be? Sorry for the noobie q’s but I don’t really have any idea!
    The RHS website thinks they can have almost whole or deeply loabed leaves and I guess that depends on maturity as much as anything.

I'm not a believer in sprays when good hygiene and correct care - daily humidifying and correct watreing for instance - will solve the problem.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thanks Obelixx. Would you recommend that watering method during the winter as well? 
    Every time you water but less frequently i winter and weekly in summer.