Forum home The potting shed

Coloured cauli?

PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,209
My daughter just found pink and orange cauliflowers for sale at the supermarket. Are they given dye, like cut flowers? Are they a variety? Would you eat one????

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,116
    I don’t think that they have been dyed, but in this particular case they may have been.

I have bought coloured cauliflowers in the past but they disappointingly turn green when you cook them.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,354
    They’re just different colours ... the purple ones probably share a bit of their genetics with purple sprouting broccoli ... they’re the same family after all. 
    Cabbages can be purple be green. Carrots can be white or orange or purple. 
    Perfectly fine to eat. 😋 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 4,215
    We had purple cauliflower recently, roasted for a Middle Eastern style salad. They retained their colour and tasted lovely. 
    Roasting is a good idea @debs64 as cooking them in water usually means they lose a lot of the colour. Steaming also works well. 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, Haute Vienne/Dordogne border. FrancePosts: 3,720
    Very timely comments, I just bought a mini purple cauliflower, just to try. 😊
    "To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul." — Alfred Austin
    Fiancé roasted it with onion and garlic, butternut squash and grapes then mixed with puy lentils, delicious! 
    Sounds very good indeed @debs64 😋 

edited February 2021
    @Dovefromabove he is a chef, doesn’t cook often at home but his food is always delicious.
    Good job though as I would otherwise be even fatter than I am!