Forum home Plants

Advice Needed

VoyagerxpVoyagerxp Posts: 554
Hi peeps i've got a hosta in a pot that's been in there for over 3 years, picture below. I want to take the hosta out of that pot, divide it and plant it in the garden and put a DA Kew Gardens Rose bare root in the pot. I was going to do this end of last year but didn't get the time. Now my Kew Garden rose has been shipped,what are my options.

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 3,365
    Split the hosta as soon as you can and get it planted in the ground, then you can use the pot for the rose when it arrives.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 24,318
    Agree, but make sure the ground where it's going is neither frozen nor a bog.   If necessary, split it and pot up in temporary pots for a week or so.

When the rose arrives, unwrap it and soak the roots in water for at least an hour to rehydrate them before planting.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 3,365
    Hmm yes, of course soil conditions. I tend to forget that not everyone has soil that is in the perfect state for planting as soon as the snow's gone (Mine is beautiful today. If it doesn't rain for a couple of weeks it'll be too dry again).
  • VoyagerxpVoyagerxp Posts: 554
    Thanks for the advice
  • I've grown Kew Gardens. It is a big rose. It would struggle in a pot that size, I think.
  • VoyagerxpVoyagerxp Posts: 554
    The pots are bigger than they look but i do plan to up to bigger pots in the near future when i can find some i like.
  • What a very pretty front garden!  Advice as above, but just wanted to compliment you on your 'plot'.