Forum home Plants

Replanting Acers

When is the best time to move Acers from pots to open ground. I have 2, one which has been potted on 4 or 5 times and is about 26 years old, the other is about 10 years old and has been re-potted twice, They are both in 450mm cubed wooden planters, and are contained within large bin liners, they have been there for about 5 years.
I have found places to relocate them to, but when??

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,837
    Any time the ground is favourable - ie not frozen  :)
    This is often a good time as there's plenty of moisture for helping with root establishment before summer, but it will depend on your local climate, and whether you would feel happy about getting them in the ground just now rather than later in the year. If you're in an area where it's likely to see more snow/ice/frost in the near future, it may be worth holding back.
    In wetter, cooler areas, you can do them at any time of year.  Autumn is ideal anywhere. 

Just prep the new planting holes well when you go ahead, water in well, and then keep an eye on them over the following months. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • amberspyamberspy Posts: 382
    Fairygirl said:
    Any time the ground is favourable - ie not frozen  :)
    This is often a good time as there's plenty of moisture for helping with root establishment before summer, but it will depend on your local climate, and whether you would feel happy about getting them in the ground just now rather than later in the year. If you're in an area where it's likely to see more snow/ice/frost in the near future, it may be worth holding back.
    In wetter, cooler areas, you can do them at any time of year.  Autumn is ideal anywhere. 

Just prep the new planting holes well when you go ahead, water in well, and then keep an eye on them over the following months. 
    Fairy
    would this advice be same for in the ground acer 
    I really need move mine 
    It’s been in ground four years 
    I’m in Scotland remember 😂
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,011
    Autumn is best for transplanting shrubs and trees as the plant is dormant which puts less stress on the roots and the soil is warm which encourages new root growth and then there's all the autumn and winter rains to water it in so it's well established before the new growth spurt for spring.

If you must do it now, be sure the ground is neither frozen nor water-logged and make sure the new hole is well prepared.  You'll need to water it well after planting and throughout its first growing season, especially in dry spells.  Be aware that the sap is probably already rising so be sure to get as much of the root ball as possible so the plant isn't checked.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw