Forum home The potting shed

Acer Advice

Hi all, I’m hoping you can help. I have an acer (type unknown) that I rescued from a skip about 5 years ago. I potted it up and it’s done remarkably well and is now my pride and joy, but I’m worried now that I may need to repot it as I think it’s outgrown it’s current one...plus now it’s a bit top-heavy and I have to stake it down with guy ropes (and some old tights) when it’s windy! 

I obviously don’t want to do anything to damage it, so would I be better:
a) leaving it as it is
b) repotting it in something like an big half barrel
c) plant it in the ground where it is

Any help appreciated. :)

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,593
    It's clearly happy in that spot so I would be inclined to plant it in the ground in the same place   It will need a hole as deep and twice as wide as that pot so you can work in some organic material to the planting hole and thus encourage its roots out sideways.

Water the pot thoroughly before you try to take it out and be prepared to tease its roots out so they do head off sideways and not round and round.  If it's very pot bound even a damp root ball can be hard to release so you may need to loosen it from the sides.  I do this by sliding an old bread knife up and down as deep as I can all round the sides of the pot.

Make sure it's planted at the same depth as it was in the pot, backfill and then gently firm the soil around it and water it well.   Keep the soil around it free of weeds and grass by using a mulch until it is well established and keep it watered in dry spells, especially thru its first growing season in the ground.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Ooh, that’s amazing advice - thank you very much! Do you think March will be a good time to re-plant it? Also, as it will be planted quite close to both a holly bush and a beech shrub, will competition between roots be a potential issue?
    I would get it planted as soon as possible and before it starts budding up so as soon as your soil isn't frozen.    If you get the soil improvement right - adding well-rotted manure and/or garden compost mixed boosted with some pelleted chicken manure - it should cope well but you could maybe bring it forward a foot or so (30cms+) to give it extra space. 
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Fabulous, thank you. Hopefully the week after next the ground will finally thaw. :)
    Hope it goes well.   Let us know how you get on.