Forum home Plants

Japanese Anemones

Last year I planted JA's in a border which is about 1 mtr wide and I would like to plant something under them this year.  Suggestions please

• TeTe Posts: 193
    hello @rosyposymarie, you could try foliage plants like ferns or hostas or ornamental grasses like Hakonechloa macra - shades of green and fiery red
    "There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true"
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,877
    they'll probably fill the 1m border this year
    Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,905
    U generally just grow bulbs under mine. The Jap anem foliage then covers the bulb foliage as it dies back.
    Most Jap anems will tend to swamp anything growing under or near them, so bear that in mind. The foliage on a mature one will have a wide spread.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • OK thanks very much for the info :)
  • Can I split my J A's now or should I wait till the spring.  They certainly have grown
  • ErgatesErgates Posts: 2,908
    I’m thinking of Japanese anemones for a 2 metre flower bed alongside the lawn. Too far from the house for anything small and dainty, so big clumps of colour that could be appreciated from a distance would fit the bill. It sounds as if I can put daffodil bulbs in as well to provide some spring colour.
    do you have a picture of yours, rosyposymarie?
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,905
    You can probably split now if they've finished, but it's often better to do it in spring. Depends on your conditions.  They often take a while to flower again. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Here is my anenome, thank you for all your comments
  • ErgatesErgates Posts: 2,908
    Terrific! That’s just the look I want for the area I have in mind. Sounds like a combination of daffodil bulbs ready to come up in the spring, plus the Japanese anemones to follow and camouflage the daff foliage. A win win, off to the garden centre tomorrow to pick which colours I fancy.
  • Enjoy