Forum home The potting shed

New on the allotment

Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,657
Morning all, I looked for discussions on bonemeal etc but couldnt find any, So my problem is this . To buy or not to buy for the allotment Bone Meal or Blood fish and bone, we have a normal assortment of spuds,beans peaa sweetcorn etc etc planned for the plot all now weed free and dormant  for 3 years, exellent drainage and very were told good soil, did a ph test as advised and all around 6.8 to 7 ph. Local  top quality well rotted  horse manure  when checked was all newish so for this coming year a no no, (hope i,m right) so for the first year will i used b/m o fbb, AND is it true beans can stay in one plot and not need crop rotation as if it is I shall set permanent bean end supports and wire across ready for the canes.
many thanks Alan/Kate. B ps 6 bags of compost now semi frozen can i still use,

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,492
    I'd go for BFB. It has a good balance of NPK and will benefit all your crops.
    Bonemeal is mostly to get roots growing.

I've grown runner beans in the same position for several years without any problems, but I do dig out a trench and add a LOT of rotted compost every year and put the soil I've dug out elsewhere.
    If you can move them every few years, that is a better idea but I know may people grow them in the same place year after year.

Semi-frozen compost is to be expected this time of year - it's fine to use
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336
    edited February 2021
    @Alan4711 My father grew runner beans in the same spot for about 30 years without any problems.  He used the trench method with newspaper at the bottom and filled it with green waste over the non-bean-growing seasons, then filled-in the trench with soil a month or so before planting-out the beans.  I remember the crops being so huge that my sister and I used to give them away to pensioners who lived in an area of bungalows nearby, by the armful! :)
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,657
    Pete and Bob many thanks for that info simple and easy, job done many thanks, Alan