Forum home Plants

Planting Allium moly bulbs?

borgadrborgadr Posts: 709
There's an offer on through GW for 100 summer bulbs, but a large proportion of them are Allium moly.  Is it not completely the wrong time of year to be planting these? Or can they be planted now? (And if not, why would a sponsor be selling them at this time of year?)

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,583
    Because they can't get rid?
    A lot of  100 bulb offers contain a large amount of  Allium moly or grape hyacinth.  They spread like crazy and you can't get rid.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 12,403
    I agree with fidgetbones - don't even think of it!
    North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone
  • borgadrborgadr Posts: 709
    Thanks Lizzie and fidget bones!  Sounds like one to swerve!
  • KayJKayJ Posts: 81
    I was about to say the same thing....I have allium moly and allium neapolitanum all over my front garden, I keep digging it out as it swamps the other early plants,  but there are bulblets everywhere....it spreads like you wouldn't believe!
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384
    edited February 2021
    I thought I'd be clever and grow both moly and grape hyacinths mixed (I like the colour combo) in pots under a plum tree, having previous experience of them spreading relentlessly.  Unfortunately, I forgot about them seeding and have been removing them from the ground near where the pots were ever since. 😖

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • borgadrborgadr Posts: 709
    Thanks all for the advice!  I'm a sucker for a bargain, but I'm glad I checked in this case.