Forum home Plants

Growing dwarf lupins 'gallery blue' under florescent light

newprojectgardennewprojectgarden Posts: 113
edited February 2021 in Plants

Hi,

I am growing dwarf lupins under light indoors. They are coming along nicely.

I was wondering if anyone knows if they flower due to age or due to the hours of light they are receiving?

I have my light on for 16 hours per day at the moment. I obviously want them to keep growing instead of starting to flower

Thanks.!

• I found this document with some info:

'Daylength (Photoperiod)Photoperiod or day length is the duration (number of hours) of exposure to daylight. Lupin (like wheat) is a long-day plant, meaning that it responds to increasing photoperiod. Increasing daylength provides a signal for the start of reproductive development. When lupin is grown with increased daylength, the time from sowing to flowering is shorter (Figure 2–9). There is also an interaction with temperature. Table 2–2. Approximate degree-days for the main development stages.
    The number of days to flowering was less with the longer daylength. At 10°C, the number of days to flowering was 32 days less with the longer daylength than with the shorter one.

The number of days to flowering was also less at the higher temperatures.

Increasing daylength also increases the rate of leaf area expansion, increases dry matter production and increases stem height. There is no impact on the number of leaves or branches on the main stem with increasing daylength.'

I would be interested to know what the optimal hours of light for vegetave growth would be as it doesn't say

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,303
    Generally speaking vegetative growth occurs while the days lengthen so around 16-18 hours of light will keep them going.
    When daylight drops to 12 hours or less, this signals to the plant it's time to prepare for seed to form.
    So stick with your 16 hours and they'll be fine

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 14,966
    Surely if seedlings in the UK needed that much daylight to grow, then we would be a desert?? We do not get that much daylight, except in mid summer.
    How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • punkdoc said:
    Surely if seedlings in the UK needed that much daylight to grow, then we would be a desert?? We do
    not get that much daylight, except in mid summer.
    It's about optimal conditions. Do you think commercial indoor fruit and veg growers just grow under 6 or 8 hours of light?no, they provide the most light possible for optimal growth
  • Lupins are native to colder parts of N America, where temperatures can get very low. You can sow any time, they will germinate when they ready, during which time they don't need light.
    Everyone likes butterflies. Nobody likes caterpillars.
  • Lupins are native to colder parts of N America, where temperatures can get very low. You can sow any time, they will germinate when they ready, during which time they don't need light.
    Thanks. Yes, you're right,seeds don't need light to germinate.  Lupins are hardy hence why they are successful perinials in the UK. Like most seeds,they will germinate when the ground warms up,so I doubt they would start to germinate outside till April in our climate.

I like to grow some plants and seedings under flourecent lights,it lets me control temperature,humidity, day length, height. Plants will be less leggy than grown on a window sil