Forum home Garden design

Gardening Projects 2021

Good Morning all

well on a chilly morning in most parts of the UK and I would imagine some worst than others, we are lucky at the mo but hopefully I have not spoken to soon. 
Are any gardeners thinking of any gardening projects this year, perhaps a new pond build; raised vegetable beds; a new garden from scratch; etc

We are considering a large pond build possibly to house Koi, but as said just looking at the options, size; cost etc

thanks in advance for your replies.
"There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true"

• Butterfly66Butterfly66 BirminghamPosts: 767
    edited February 2021
    We’ve run out of big projects in our garden 😕 but I have got two small ones. I’m converting a small bed into a small by egetable latch and I’ve got my eye on a struggling piece of the lawn which would make a lovely new bed. Just need to talk round my other half.

My daydream project is eyeing up an unused bit of land behind our house. Would love to get my hands on it. It would make our garden a funny shape but would love to have a new bit of blank canvas to work with.
     If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • My big project was done in November (garden levelled and hard landscaped areas put in by builders) so this year I have to get into actually doing something with it.

I planted a dwarf conifer in a pot with some ivy earlier on in the month that was part of a gifted Christmas display - if they take they take, if not then nothing lost.

I've ordered my garden furniture which is arriving tomorrow and later after work I’m going to pick up some fence stain so I can begin with that as soon as the weather gets decent. 

In in the summer months I’m going to start getting to grips with deciding what plants to actually pot up and plant. I want some verticality so I’m going to start with a clematis in March and slowly go from there as I’m a complete novice at gardening.
  • Cambridgerose12Cambridgerose12 Posts: 1,044
    edited February 2021
    I've got a big project in the offing, but it's at a house I bought in France and I won't be able to do anything major until I retire and move to it. I wanted to put a photo in, but it's not working--perhaps file too large...
  • WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 1,410
    Always something to build or start at ours, new greenhouse to build (it's arrives next week), a curved roof with cedar shingles for my pizza oven, new veg patch to go at, 1 large perennial bed to strip back and redo, large timber Arbor thing to cover a path and allow some climber to go wild on and I have to build an extension to the house. Me thinks that's enough as Mrs Wilderbeast will have a list all of her own as well 
  • I want to invest in a greenhouse and increase veggie plots. After a year in lockdown, the benefit of your own harvest is well worthwhile and actually, I was appalled by the distance some of our basic foods have travelled from overseas. Even those you would expect to be UK home grown. My dilemma is, that once we can leave the house, we were planning on moving. If this comes off, we will have a new garden to create, if not, when do I start investing in the changes in this garden. Good luck to all who are starting out on your own projects. Keep safe and stay well :-)
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,334
    My project is to get some planting down around the lake.
    Devon.
  • WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 1,410
    @Hostafan1 how I wish I could say that, your lake is a proper water feature 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,334
    @Hostafan1 how I wish I could say that, your lake is a proper water feature 
    Right now it's partly frozen over
    Devon.
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    edited February 2021
    My project is figuring out how to install some kind of proper irrigation system that works for the spaces. A head-scratcher.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,461
    I moved house in January, in Dordogne, France. There is a new garden to be made, almost from scratch. The vegetable garden is fenced, as they had pygmy goats, but it is too big for me. The lawn behind the house has a few trees and a small bed full of weeds and an elderly lavender and a rosemary. They couldn't have more in the way of flowers as the goats ate everything. But at the moment it is waterlogged and the local town was partially flooded, the river burst its banks. There has been so much rain.

This is what I have to work with.

Dordogne and Norfolk