Forum home Garden design

Quick fix for neglected garden

Hi everyone,

Hoping you can help.  Currently renting a house from a family member, and as they are doing us a huge favour, we want to try and sort out this very neglected part of the garden whilst we are here.  We don't want to change too much or do anything that can't be easily 'undone' just in case they have other ideas in the long term, but am wondering what you would do if you wanted to sort this area out?

There were lots of the blue/grey decorative stones down, but I don't think there were enough to begin with, as we often found ourselves walking clay through the house.  So we thought we would dig all of the clay out and put the stones back, but  get a load more delivered to ensure full coverage.

Also, the lawn edging has rotted away, and it's starting to collapse a bit at the edges.  Would you think that buying some new edging and hammering it in/down into the ground would be an ok fix for this?  And then decorative stones?

Thank you so much!

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,462
    Presumably it was wood before.  A layer of brick would look good, or even the metal edging you can get in a strip. Straighten the edge first, put the strip in, then, back fill and scatter a bit of grass seed in march along the bare edge.  One thing that worries me is the lawn looks to be higher than the damp course on the house.  Trim it back a foot or so, and edge that, or there could be a damp problem.  Fill the gap with stone to give soak away.
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,810
    It may be a good idea to ask them what overall changes they have thought about.
    Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.
  • LTobyLToby Posts: 184
    Agree with @NewBoy2 before digging things up ... 

Aberdeenshire, Scotland
  • I would consider edging the lawn with bricks. The block paving look quite nice. Lay them on a bed of dry mortar. Personally, I don't like the blue/grey chippings, I find them uncomfortable to walk on. An alternative could be fine grade, golden gravel. I think they are 5mm pieces. You could also use your bricks to create a nice design within the gravel too.