Forum home Tools and techniques

What secateurs do you use

• FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
  • edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 2,267
    @Mr. Vine Eye @Nollie me too  B) I am slightly obsessed with value for money and can't imagine buying anything expensive when a cheap tool does the same job. I read reviews and recommendations for the best budget secateurs and got Wilkinson Sword Deluxe bypass secateurs. Super happy with them.
  • @edhelka - I always try and go for the best “bang for buck” product when buying anything!
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,184
    I've bought genuine, good condition, second hand Felco on ebay for less than £20

Devon.
  • TeTe Posts: 193
    edited February 2021
    According to the monthly Gardeners World magazine the Darlac secateurs are rated as best buy which looking at them look very similar to Felco secateurs, many thanks all for your replies 
    "There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true"
  • cowslip2cowslip2 Posts: 137
    Felco are outstanding
  • TeTe Posts: 193
    cowslip2 said:
    Felco are outstanding
    Yes would agree @cowslip2 felco’s are extremely good unfortunately I find them fiddly when it comes to maintenance etc on comparison to the Niwaki range, I appreciate the Japanese Niwaki secateurs range is more expensive but the are a very solid pair of secateurs
    "There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true"
  • Here's my cheapo £6 secateurs. I've just been giving them a little clean and sharpen. 

I've had them for 4 years - I suspect that they'd last pretty much indefinitely with my use and the occasional sharpen and oil, they cut really cleanly and smoothly and they're easy to look after.

Does please me when you find something decent for little money. Definitley good bang for your buck with these.

• FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    Does anyone have a really good link on how to sharpen secs properly?  I'm sure I'm not doing it right.

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 23,586
    I remember asking about sharpeners but got no replies. I'd be really interested too.
    In London. Keen but lazy.