Forum home Tools and techniques

What secateurs do you use

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,698
    Felcos are so easy to service yourself.
    Here's a short Felco vid how to do it.
    It takes me barely 10 mins, no special tools needed and they come up like new.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uz-s3snS7w
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 10,280
    felco 2 and 5 here ✂️ 
  • TeTe Posts: 193
    Pete.8 said:
    Felcos are so easy to service yourself.
    Here's a short Felco vid how to do it.
    It takes me barely 10 mins, no special tools needed and they come up like new.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uz-s3snS7w                       

Personally I prefer the Niwaki Tobisho , one piece of forged steel, nowt to take apart, keep em clean and sharpened, stay sharp for ages as well
    "There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true"
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,698
    For £100+ I'm sure I would too :)
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,366
    I’m another cheapskate @Mr. Vine Eye. I lose them all the time and am generally really bad at looking after tools, so I buy cheap and often. Bought a new pair for the season yesterday, €8.
  • TeTe Posts: 193
    Pete.8 said:
    For £100+ I'm sure I would too :)
    @Pete.8 the art is not to lose them hence I try to remember to wear a holster 
    "There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true"
  • @Nollie - oh no, see I buy cheap AND look after them, so get the best of both worlds!
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 23,647
    edited February 2021
    I have several. All bought , lost and found . My favourite is one with a rolly handle. Unfortunately, it's currently lost.
    I wish they made them with a hook on the end of one handle so that you could hang it on a branch when you need two hands rather than balancing it where it inevitably falls off into the undergrowth and gets forgotten.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,366
    They need a tracking device, I reckon.
  • @B3 - you’d just end up leaving it on the branch and walking off wondering where you put it!

...or at least I would.

Would probably discover a few days later when it fell off and hit my head