Forum home Tools and techniques

What secateurs do you use

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 5,640
    Felco 2 again here, my OH has Felco 6 as she has much smaller hands.  I know many who use Okatsune too, they are equally good. 
    AB Still learning

• Niwake.  They’re my first ‘real’ pair!  My husband bought me 2 sets for Christmas to encourage my new found gardening hobby.  Cutting back the Ivy was a doddle, made such a difference. 
  • Ha! I’m going to sound so cheap in comparison but I’ve got these from Wilko
    They've lasted 5 years so far and work very well, good cuts. 

I’ve also got some Burgon and Ball snips which are good for lighter stuff.
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,879
    Just bought some Felco 7 hopefully they will help as I have arthritis in my hands
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    Felco usually, but mine have disappeared and I think they were nicked from the front garden. I don't take very good care of my snippers, so it's better for me to have ten rubbish, ancient pairs all over the place that I sharpen every few months. Hopefully my lovely Felcos will turn up in a year. An elf will place them in the middle the empty dining table, looking innocent, as if they had been there all the time, and I will curse and then sigh, because, as fed up as I get with the elf, it's always good to get my stuff back in the end.
  • TeTe Posts: 193
    Niwake.  They’re my first ‘real’ pair!  My husband bought me 2 sets for Christmas to encourage my new found gardening hobby.  Cutting back the Ivy was a doddle, made such a difference. 
    @kelliejcrane very good choice, I have a pair of these and they are the best I’ve used, if reNiwaki also do a sharpening service, mine are Tobisho SR type, I believe Monty Don also uses these
    "There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true"
  • Butterfly66Butterfly66 BirminghamPosts: 765
    I have some Felco 2. They need a service so may see if you can still send them off. 
     If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • TeTe Posts: 193
    I have some Felco 2. They need a service so may see if you can still send them off. 
    @Butterfly66 this may help 

https://www.worldoffelco.co.uk/servicing
    "There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true"
    Te said:
    @Butterfly66 this may help 

https://www.worldoffelco.co.uk/servicing
    Thank you @Te I will have a look now. I’ve finished pruning all my roses so would be good timing. Often I think about it but don’t want to be without them. Mmm sounds like an excuse for a decent back-up pair 🤔
     If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero
    Fire said:
    Felco usually, but mine have disappeared and I think they were nicked from the front garden. I don't take very good care of my snippers, so it's better for me to have ten rubbish, ancient pairs all over the place that I sharpen every few months. Hopefully my lovely Felcos will turn up in a year. An elf will place them in the middle the empty dining table, looking innocent, as if they had been there all the time, and I will curse and then sigh, because, as fed up as I get with the elf, it's always good to get my stuff back in the end.
    My OH turned one of our compost bins and he found my favourite trowel which I had lost about 8months previously 🙄🤣