Forum home Plants

Rearranging perennials and grasses

LatimerLatimer Posts: 1,065
Hello all,

Last year I planted a bed of perennials, mostly from 9cm pots (which in hindsight I should have grown a little before planting out). Most of the plants grew strongly however, with only the Sedum Matrona suffering a few losses.

When planning the bed last year I had wanted it to look good from all 4 sides so had the plants in multiple "blocks" all around with a "river" of Verbena Bonariensis running through the middle.

After living with it for last summer I noticed a few things: 1. that although it is accessible from all sides, it's really only "seen" from one end where the dining & BBQ area is and from the living room of the house. 2. The verbena absolutely dominated the bed. That may just have been that the verbena came in 1litre pots so may be just that much more mature when planted. 3. the "blocks" were a bit too small so lacked impact.

Is it a good idea to rearrange things this spring? I know the plants are still relatively young so don't know if I should wait another year.

Thanks for any input.
I’ve no idea what I’m doing. 

• JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,457
    You can rearrange them in spring if you want to, when you can see what's what but before they've really got going. Just lift as big a rootball as you can and water in well afterwards.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Posts: 4,216
    Yes, rearrange by all means.
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • LatimerLatimer Posts: 1,065
    @JennyJ & @Papi Jo many thanks! Aim for mid to end of March for this?
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,457
    I would do it as soon as I saw new growth, as long as the ground isn't frozen or waterlogged. Go by the conditions not the calendar :)
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • LatimerLatimer Posts: 1,065
    Thanks @JennyJ