Forum home Garden design

boundary

hi  im new to this discussion. I live on a very elevated long site. Recently the council built a very very long and high stone wall around my property. Now my garden is flush with the wall. Ihavr refused a wooden  fence inside wall as i think it will take from the beautiful granite wall.  They now intend putting portugese laurel inside wall. all very good. my issue is the border is extremely long so i intend planting a piece of hedge and a piece of rustic fence ,an open flower bed , a piece of hedge , a piece of fence, hedge fence and hedge to break up the length of the boundary. Do you think this will work?

• K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,507
    Welcome to the forum 
    I really can't visualise this can you post a photo or 2 tomorrow, weather permitting.
    Use the icon that looks like mountains and resize if it won't upload.

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,706
    I can't visualise it either. Do you mean the council are wanting to put laurel inside your garden? Surely they can't do that (unless it's a council house that you're renting from them)?
  • KT53KT53 GloucestershirePosts: 7,552
    It does read as if the council want to plant the laurel inside the OPs garden, and I wouldn't be happy about that.  The OP should suggest alternative planting which suits their wishes.
    In response to the specific question about plants, fencing, plants, fencing.  There's no reason they can't do that although controlling the laurel may be a problem.
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,507
    Not sure if @bridowens803 is going to post anything more
  • No the council are in talks with me. Im going for the mixture of open bed , hedge and fenc. The suggested  fence and hedge around the property
  • The coucil suggests fence and hedge around the propety.The drawing is my plan
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,531
    Very pretty garden plan. I'm a bit puzzled though why the Council built the wall, they're not usually that helpful!
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    I'm wondering if it is a supporting wall, with much of the garden being raised above the surrounding land?
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • They needed 1m and half of my garden to put in footpath to make it safe for pedestrians. But what do you think of the plan for boundary as opposed to councils idea of wooden post fence nd hedge inside it. Garden is flush with top of wall
  • Yes my site is v elevated . Was that way even befor the wall. Yes the wall is a supporting wall. Just a rough bank there previously