Forum home Fruit & veg

Greenhouse or no greenhouse?

2»

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 3,492
    Light transmission is better with glass,  clear polycarbonate is next best and is warmer.  As ever it's a compromise between what fits and your budget.  You will not regret getting one. 
    AB Still learning

• FireFire LondonPosts: 8,297
    It seems to be the rule with greenhouses and ponds - go as large as you can.
  • WoostieWoostie Posts: 38
    Thanks everyone, I've decided to go for it, just need to wait for the sales or hope a second-hand one comes up for sale.
  • AstraeusAstraeus Posts: 87
    Rather than start a new thread for a fairly basic question, I thought I'd just pop a query on the back of this if I may.

What are people's experiences of greenhouses with the door (or even double doors) along the length instead of the gable? That is the configuration offered to me on a 10x8 Elite but I'm curious about how workable it is against a gable-end door.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,530
    I do think you get more into a end door rather than a side one, but it does depend on the shape you need. Maybe air circulation is better, but as long as you have skylights too that's no problem.  My only question is if you want a slightly warmer end, say for peppers, you wouldn't have one. Hope this helps @Astraeus
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 4,551
    Definitely a greenhouse, glass, the biggest you can afford and fit in, I have 3, well, 2 and a small lean to, always completely full even in winter.