Forum home Plants

Physocarpus little angel

MeomyeMeomye Posts: 924
Has anyone grown this? just wondered about colour, eventual height, width etc. What are your thoughts? I have one of the larger varieties but it is still quite young (about 18months)  and hasn't flowered since I have had it. Many thanks.

• KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,831
    We didn't have that variety, but we did have Little Devil.  That grew to about 1 metre in height and width.  We hard pruned them every Spring.  We found that the foliage stayed on the plant much later into Winter than with the adult version (Diablo), and the blossom appeared much later in the year too.  
  • AthelasAthelas Posts: 937
    edited April 2021
    I remember seeing your post some time ago @Meomye, and have only now gotten around to checking on my Physocarpus ‘Little Angel’. It’s 3 1/2 years old in a sunny south facing raised bed with clay soil, and is 70cm tall and 80cm wide. The leaf colour is as seen in photos online — a plummy red — although the new leaves emerging now in spring are orangey green. I haven’t noticed any flowers at all, also no pests or diseases to note. It’s a great, non-fussy plant that gives a nice shot of colour in the border.

Which other variety do you have @Meomye?

@KeenOnGreen, I might look out for a Little Devil — saw the flowers in online pictures; mine doesn’t seem to have any or if there are they’re too small to notice.

I’m planning to try pruning option #2 here next year: https://www.finegardening.com/article/how-to-prune-ninebark
    Cambridgeshire, UK