Forum home Plants

Monty Don's America- what tree?

KmehKmeh Posts: 171
Hello,  

Does anyone know what tree this is from the segment on Longwood in Philadelphia Its the white one in the background. I think the series was shot I  summer if that helps. 

Thank you!

• KmehKmeh Posts: 171
    68 views and no replies. I dont think that has ever happened with one of my gardeners world post. You guys are the Oracle normally :D ! I might have to resort to YouTube tours of the Longwood in the hope that its mentioned!
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,863
    I suspect it's a bit of an optical illusion caused by the camera being in deep shade and the tree in full sun. 
    I can't imagine it's actually white. 
    Devon.
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,434
    Possibly a white wisteria trained as a standard? I think it would take a lot of looking after to keep it that shape, and the flowers only last a few weeks.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,296
    Why not email Longwood directly -

[email protected]

It could be something like Spanish moss growing on the branches - it certainly looks different!

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • JennyJ said:
    Possibly a white wisteria trained as a standard? I think it would take a lot of looking after to keep it that shape, and the flowers only last a few weeks.
    That was my thought ... but I wouldn't put money on it  :/

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Nor me, because I just watched that segment on the programme from last night and there are people walking under the tree that I didn't see in the screenshot (although now that I look again, I can see them). It's a huuuuuge tree!
    It's a giant tree. I will email them and post the reply. Quietly delighted that all the gardeners world experts are just as perplexed as I am!
    So it's a bit of an optical illusion I think with the white. Longwood has said it's a Salix × sepulcralis var. chrysocoma or golden weeping willow.
    Thanks for getting back to us. Every day's a schoolday!
  • I looked at this originally and hadn't a clue. Then looking at it again just now I realised it was a weeping willow. Was going to write that, then I saw you'd found out a different way! :smiley: