Forum home Plants

Feeding a camellia

herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 2,278
My daughter asked me this morning if it was OK to feed her camellia with her comfrey tea. Since my track record with any acid loving plants is terminal I said I would ask people who would know.

If not comfrey tea then any suggestions as to what might be appropriate?
"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,579
    Comfrey tea will be fine as long as it's made with rain water or the tap water is not hard.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 2,278
    Thank you @Obelixx of course if it dies now you know who I will blame  :D 
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,579
    Comfrey is a good all round fertiliser for flowering and fruiting plants so as long as your daughter gets the watering levels right - and the right kind of water - it should be fine.   If it does start showing yellowing foliage that would indicate a shortage of iron and/or magnesium and that can be fixed with sequestered iron and/or Epsom salts in solution.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 2,278
    She used water from her waterbutt so all good @Obelixx and thank you again.