Forum home Plants

deep purple rose

I'm looking for a deep purple rose.  Ideally would have liked a Munstead Wood but they are out of stock at the moment & am told they probably won't be available until this autumn. I'm wondering if Ebb Tide would be a good substitute. Has anyone ever  grown an Ebb Tide & if so do you have any photos of it please? I don't have space for a really large shrub so thought this may fit the bill.  Any other suggestions would be welcomed .

• rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 814
    Sarah Raven is offering one called 'Timeless Purple'. May be worth a look.

• edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 2,267
    Munstead Wood seems to be out of stock everywhere, probably because of the rumours about it being discontinued.
    Ebb Tide is a different type of rose than Munstead Wood but if you care about the colour only, it could work for you, it is a nice rose and one of the purpliest of all purples.

You can find more photos from many other growers all around the world here:
    https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.37480.1&tab=36
    The colour depends on the climate, weather/temperature, stage/age of the bloom, soil, available nutrients etc., so don't be surprised to see a range of colours.
  • That's great thanks for that information.  Timeless Purple looks a lovely rose, never knew that one existed.  
    The helpmefind website is very useful, lovely photos.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,532
    Munstead Wood is rarely purple for me, more reddish burgundy or bright fuchsia so the growing conditions do affect colour quite a lot, as edhelka says. I have three new purples to try this year, Ebb Tide, Purple Lodge and Forever Royal.
  • OOh, I'll look the other two up, thanks.
    Oh and I forgot about Diamond Eyes, a real cutie, only around 2 foot, small blooms but lots of them. It may be too small for you:

• @Nollie, that really is an enchanting rose.

If you like the old roses then a repeat-flowering form is 'Indigo' (picture), which opens pink but rapidly turns an amazing colour. 'Reine des Violettes' is also lovely. There are several once-flowering forms like 'Hippolyte' that are purple, too. I mention these because they are such lovely shrubs and the smell is amazing. They're not that hard to get hold of, places like Peter Beales, David Austin or Trevor White Old Roses usually have a selection.
    Look what you have started Hilary 😆 

Indigo is lovely @Cambridgerose12, it has been on and off my shortlist along with many others, but space being limited.. I have a good selection of old roses this year, definitely getting more into them. I also have the old David Austin rose The Prince, which starts off deep burgundy, turns red, then purple in heat:

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,391
    Ebb Tide looks lovely.
    I've just bought Burgundy Ice, but from a French nursery as I live in France, although quite a few places, such as Peter Beales Classic Roses, sell it in England. It's a floribunda, not very thorny, and is related to Iceberg. It isn't as full as Munstead Wood.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,670
    I'm liking Minerva but I've only had it for one season so I can't comment on performance over the long term. It's kind of a soft purple, not maroon/burgundy. I don't have a pic though, so here's a link (other sellers available).https://www.thefragrantrosecompany.co.uk/minerva