Forum home Problem solving

More Weeds than grass, What to do?

My Backyard has grown more weeds than the grass itself. Any expert advice please help? Thanks.

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 3,365
    You need to work out why the weeds are out-competing the grass. Could be shade, poor drainage, too much wear and tear, maybe other causes. Can you tell us a bit more about the conditions, and maybe post some pictures? Also, what's your climate like?
  • My Backyard has grown more weeds than the grass itself and now I personally have given up on pulling them off as there are so many. Even if I pull some of them there are a few huge patches of carpet weeds which grow sideways and are taking over more grass areas. What options do I have I personally it has gone beyond the DIY project scope. Can the lawns be revived when there is a like a 50/50 grass/weeds ratio area wise. If I hire weedman will they be able to target weeds and I can reseed? Please advise this is the 3rd year with my new house so the quality of groundfill underneath is pretty bad filled with stones and brick pieces. Any expert advice please help? Thanks.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520
    Are you in the UK?
    I'm afraid without photos, it makes it very difficult to advise, and as @JennyJ says, there are lots of factors which create good conditions for weeds to grow in grass. New builds are notorious for poor ground with turf just laid on them, so often you need to kill everything off and start anew, with some better topsoil applied, prepped and raked,  and then turf laid or seed sown. 
    It isn't the right time of year here to be doing that though. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• backyardmashbackyardmash Posts: 4
    edited 2 February
    yes uk 
  • tmr i will add photos 
  • We have a "lawn" that has very little grass but has many different wildflowers growing in it which is very beneficial for insects. We also don't mow the "lawn" very often as we enjoy seeing the different insects on the different flowers. Not to everyones taste though.
    To remove all your weeds by hand is extremely time consuming and will never remove all of the plant. Using chemicals (which we do not use) to remove the broadleaved plants would kill off the unwanted plants. The bare patches would then need to be sown with grass seed or laid with grass.
  • The chemical that is used is a plant hormone that causes the broadleaf seedlings to grow faster than they should and outgrow their strength, and you can mow some days after application, which will not harm the grass but will weaken the broadleaf seedlings even more. You need to take extra care to keep it away from any broadleaf plants you don't want to kill, so if you use it, you'll still need to hand weed any areas of lawn that are at the edges close to borders.