Forum home Garden design

Levelling ideas, no privacy

Hi! All advice welcome!

Have a new build, corner plot house with a slope coming away from the house at the bottom and right hand side of our garden. We are completely overlooked by neighbouring houses in the street. The slope at the bottom and right hand side both dip down approx 60-70cm. 

We are looking to level the garden and want the cheapest way possible to do this. My idea is to have a retaining wall made out of sleepers put in to cover the full back and right hand side of the garden and use the soil already in the garden to level out and fill in. We will then plant large conifers to screen for privacy. And then patio/slab at the bottom as that’s where we get most sun. 

Would this be the cheapest way of levelling and creating privacy? 

Thanks in advance! 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,291
    edited February 2021
    If you raise the level of the garden, surely you'll be more overlooked, not less? 😵

I would a combination of strategic planting of individual large shrubs/small trees coupled with a pergola or two covered with clematis/roses/vines ... a much more attractive garden with areas of varying amounts of seclusion.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• MSKMSK Posts: 11
    Thanks dove from above!

The levelling would help a little as only using the soil already in the garden to level but yes we still will be. That’s why we were looking at conifers to give us the privacy. It’s just we feel 1/3 of garden we can’t use and the part we can is uncomfortable to use because of how open/overlooked we are. 

Thanks for your suggestion I will definitely look at this 😊
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,291
    I’ve just seen @Loxley’s response on your other thread ... looks as if great minds think alike 👍 😂 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh