Forum home The potting shed

HELLO FORKERS ☔️ Feb ‘21

DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,086
edited 1 February in The potting shed
Here we are ... a pinch and a punch and February Fill-dyke has arrived ... we have a new chat thread where we can meet new friends, greet old ones and offer kindness and support to each other ... sharing the stuff that matters to us and wittering on about the interesting nothing in particulars that fill our day ... 
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Pat EPat E Posts: 9,543
    Good morning Dove. 😃
    S. E. NSW
    We’ve just had a big storm pass over. Tv has gone off, but the lights still work. Might be an early night.  
    S. E. NSW
  • D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, Haute Vienne/Dordogne border. FrancePosts: 2,761
    Good morning @Dovefromabove and others to follow. 

Your work life seems a bit like mine @Biglad - all or nothing, if only an equal balance could be found. I did manage a bit longer digging than you though, about 2 hours, although squelching is probably a better description. Had to be done though, this is a new bit of flowerbed I have reclaimed and the network of nettles was trying to fight back, I wanted to get the roots out before they got a hold again. Fingers crossed. 

Terrible rain in the night though, everywhere is sodden, certainly no garden work will be done today.

Charlie is off school, they have closed it down to deep clean it after the poisoning last week, 190 kids and staff affected. They don't think it's in the water because they said that the chlorine was still present and normally if bacteria is present it kills the chlorine. They are going to deep clean everything, the canteen, the classrooms, toilets, hallways and stair bannisters, fingers crossed they find whatever it was that caused it. Charlie was really lucky not to have been infected, his teacher was on strike on last Tuesday so he didn't go in and on Wednesdays he finishes at 11am so no lunch again, they seem to think it has come from the canteen. 

I am going to visit my friend who had the stroke in December again in hospital today, he was hoping to be allowed home for the weekend but they said he wasn't ready. The have done a check on his home so he is making arrangements for handrails etc. to be fitted so that hopefully they will let him out. I think at the moment though he is having so much physio, mornings and afternoons, that it is easier for him to stay in the centre, otherwise it would be taxis everyday to and fro. 

Hope everyone is ok, keep thinking of you and yours @Yviestevie, hope for better news today. 

Also thoughts for poor Captain Sir Tom, it would be such a wicked shame if Covid go to him. 
    "To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul." — Alfred Austin
    The rain filled up the contour bank in just a few minutes.

S. E. NSW
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,086
    That looks like a useful amount of rain @Pat E 😊 

This looks like an exciting way to get to the vaccination Centre https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/bury-st-edmunds-rickshaw-charity-new-bike-7083604
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 3,173
    Crumbs Feb already,  hope everyone is ok. Slow start here, but wet overnight again means that it's unlikely that I will be doing much outside. 🙁
    AB Still learning

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 15,266
    Good morning all.

It absolutely poured in the night. The ground was already saturated and the local river is on an orange flood alert. My little river along the paddock boundary is full. The ground slopes up to the house so there would have to be a huge amount of water for flooding. It feels damp in the garage though, which is where a lot of my things are still stored in cardboard boxes.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 8,815
    Hi all

Can anyone tell me when this is all going to end?
    I know there are people with far more to moan about than me, but my mental health just does not want to improve and now my physical health seems to be getting worse again, or am I just imagining that?
    Walk out to winter, swear I'll be there.
    Chill will wake you, high and dry
    You'll wonder why.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,086
    Bless you @punkdoc ... I’ve just stepped out of the shower and got a text from Winky asking me to send yiu ((BIG HUGS)) from her cos she’s on her way to work and I’m sending ((BIG HUGS)) from us too ... Feb can be a grim month in many ways ... that’s why the gods made it the shortest 😉. I’ll send you ☕️ and a 🥓 🥪 ... my best cure-all ... keep taking them as and when as a prophylactic ... we’ll get through this together ... sunshine and birdsong are on their way .... and it’s only half an hour until Popmaster 😎 

• Desi_in_LondonDesi_in_London LondonPosts: 242
    @punkdoc this is may sound trite ( and I am sorry if so, it is well intentioned) ... when I was going through a particularly rough patch a few years ago and saying as you did " lots are much worse off than me but I just can't seem to feel better" a dear friend told me off for thinking along those lines. Just because (you perceive) your problems are not on the same scale as <world hunger/ climate crisis/ whatever>  doesn't make them the most pressing issues for YOUR world. Be gentle with yourself , I don't know you but everybody I do know , myself included, is having these thoughts in varying degrees most days. I say this not to belittle your feelings , but to say you are not alone.
    Kindness is always the right choice.