Forum home Plants

evergreen climber for trellis and shrub for planter

Hi folks,
Im building a big trellis at the front of my house and would like a climber (or 3) to fill it. I want it to be evergreen and flowering. It will be in full sun most of the day and the soil has a clay element ie. top soil over clay.
I'm also making a big planter (600l) and would like to grow an evergreen shrub (possibly which flowers) that will grow quite tall and strong without support.
I'm not much of a gardener and would appreciate some recommendations please.

• RubytooRubytoo Posts: 1,596
    edited January 2021
    It might be helpful if you could say what size your trellis is going to be, as climbers come in a lot of different sizes. Large can be subjective :)

Also what size would you like the plant for the container to grow to in height and width.
    And you would like something upright is okay, but do you want a rounded shape or maybe a cascading branch effect.
    A little more of what you have in your minds eye would help to make choices.
    Does it need to hide something and do you want to just water and feed and not have to touch it for pruning more than occasionally.
  • good reply  :)

trellis will be 2.2m high x 8m

Height for the container plant to be about 2.5m and preferably something that would take on a rounded shape.

more helpful?  :#

• delskidelski Posts: 274
    Viburnum are evergreen with flowers. I have one (no idea which variety) that is over 2.5m tall without support and has small white flowers at I can't remember which time of year. Can be more tree-like that some other shrubs and it has a nice natural shape, not straggly or anything. Doesn't need any shaping/pruning.
    Sadly I've drawn a blank on other tall, strong evergreen flowering shrubs, but that's the one I've got! I'm sure you wil be recommended some other more interesting shrubs.

edited January 2021
    gr.phippard said:

:D
    For climbers.
    You could have a look at Trachelospermum jasminoides.
    There is a white flowered one and I think a creamier one.
    This is fairy hardy I think although our one takes on a reddish tint to the leaves when it is cold.
    The flowers are small and scented . And the plant twines nicely once you give the stems a poke in the right direction.

You could also grow some easy clematis to give colour at the same time and , or early or later flowering ones to extend the color season as the Trach only flowers for a couple of months.
    I use some viticella type clematis ( group three) that can be tidied easily once your Trach has taken hold. You just cut them back and pull the old stems away gently in the winter or spring to tidy it or them. They grow new flowering stems each year from the ground or low on cut back stems.

Also for winter "evergreen" some of the late winter to early spring clematis like the Cirrhosa types will give you some winter cheer.
    But I would plant them separately and not mix so much with the Trach as the pruning can be a bit difficult timing wise.
    With your extent of trellis you can have both.

Warning though that the winter flowering clematis can look like they are dying in August or September as it is their time to look nafff. But by October they usually start to look better.

Edited twice coz I cannot speeeellll
  • delski said:
    Viburnum are evergreen with flowers. I have one (no idea which variety) that is over 2.5m tall without support and has small white flowers at I can't remember which time of year. Can be more tree-like that some other shrubs and it has a nice natural shape, not straggly or anything. Doesn't need any shaping/pruning.
    Sadly I've drawn a blank on other tall, strong evergreen flowering shrubs, but that's the one I've got! I'm sure you wil be recommended some other more interesting shrubs.

cheers, I'll have a look at those, sounds like the sort of thing I'm looking for  :)

• Rubytoo said:
    gr.phippard said:

:D
    For climbers.
    You could have a look at Trachelospermum jasminoides.
    You could also grow some easy clematis 
    I use some viticella type clematis 
    Also for winter "evergreen" some of the late winter to early spring clematis like the Cirrhosa types 
    With your extent of trellis you can have both.
    Warning though that the winter flowering clematis can look like they are dying in August or September as it is their time to look nafff. But by October they usually start to look better.

Edited twice coz I cannot speeeellll
    I've had a quick look at your suggestions there and they look good. I like the sound of having a mix with different flowering times and colours. I'm not bothered if one or more look a bit naff at different times of the year, the fact that they give coverage is the most important thing. 
    Spelling's good enough for me  ;) 
    thank you  :)
    You may have to keep pruning time in mind, as some will have less or no flowers if you do it at the wrong time for some other groups.
    But you have plenty of trellis space to experiment. Good Luck. :)

Oh heck I made a giant image again.
    Not a great photo but you can see the shiny narrow leaves of the Trachelospermum and white flowers, with a C. Gravetye and Buckland Beauty.
    Another easy clematis viticella that grows well with violet purple flowers is easy to find Etoille violette and  if you want a winey red Madame Julia Correvon
    All group three.
     It does look better usually I just got a bad timing snap for reference in my notes. :/

• Rubytoo said:
    Not a great photo but you can see the shiny narrow leaves of the Trachelospermum and white flowers, with a C. Gravetye and Buckland Beauty.
    Another easy clematis viticella that grows well with violet purple flowers is easy to find Etoille violette and  if you want a winey red Madame Julia Correvon

that's exctly the sort of look I'm aiming for, looks lovely... thank you for all your suggestions  :)<3
  • edhelkaedhelka Posts: 2,350
    Large trellis with an evergreen in front of the house is a very unusual request. Do you want it for privacy? A thick evergreen screen close to your house could limit your light inside a lot. Deciduous plants can provide decent screening too without blocking too much light.
    I think, for the best coverage of both foliage and flowers, your best bet would be a combination of evergreen and deciduous plants.
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 2,663
    edited January 2021
    Clematis armandii and cirrhosa are brilliant as they can be pruned back if you feel they are getting too big. Armandii is also fragrant and flowers in the winter. Our cirrhosa has been in flower most of last year and is still in flower. Beautiful delicate flowers.
    Winter honeysuckle (Lonicera frangrantissima) also provides very sweet smelling flowers in the winter as name suggest.