Forum home Plants

Weed/ errant plant identification please-- 2 different ones and a sarcococca question

Firstly , I would be grateful if anyone could identify these weeds/seedlings....

google photo seems to identify the first as possibly holly ( but the leaves are not hard waxy/glossy ) or berberis (?) .
The other weed i suspect is either vinca major maculata or possibly vinca minor illumination (?) -- i don't remember having seen it flower. I pulled it out last summer ( having heard periwinkle invasive stories) but it is back ( was a single stalk before too, thinking it was probably about 25-30 cm 10-12 inches high at maturity). 
Both of these 'weed' seedlings are around 2-4 inches high from ground to top of the top leaf

Finally ( photo 3 ) , I am sure i have some kind of sweet box/sarcococca , but this is not especially bushy. Do i need to prune it or are some types just naturally arching stems? Probably 3-4 stems from the base , about 60-70 cm high. I thought it was fine until I saw someone ( maybe @Tack) post a pic of their purchase on the rose thread which looks a lot bushier.

All growing in damp shady beds which get some sun ( 3-5 hours) in the summer , the sarcococca probably the least sunny spot ( growing at the edge -ish of a bamboo run which I am iteratively trying to contain / remove).
Kindness is always the right choice.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 23,776
    The first one could be a Mahonia.
    Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • @Busy-Lizzie i would be delighted if that is the case , i've been wanting to get one ( albeit i imagine there are lots of different kinds)
  • I think 1. is a holly seedling and 2. is possibly a euonymous.
  • Thank you @rachelQrtJHBjb , perhaps i'll just wait and see how they develop and have another stab at identification a few months on if it's not clear for now. 
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 23,776
    I had Mahonia "Charity". I got fed up with it, too prickly and in the wrong place. I dug it up, but about 2 years later a shoot appeared, looking just like your photo. I must have left a bit of root behind. I left it there after that, it had made such an effort to stay there! Now a metre tall, but I've just moved house so the new owners can look after it.
    Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 14,932
    3 is a Sarcococca.
    How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • Thank you @punkdoc, re the sarcococca I was actually wondering if its fine for it to have lax stems rather than being a compact shape . ( Quite honestly doesn't bother me given its situation next to bamboo, it is more if i need to be cutting it back to keep it healthy/bushy). 
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,831
    i gave our leggy Sarococca a 50% prune last Spring and it put on lots of dense growth by the end of Summer.  It has grown much faster than I expected.  You can leave them leggy but I prefer them more dense.  Don’t prune until after any frost risk is over. 
  • @KeenOnGreen -- that's great thank you for your help 
  • EustaceEustace Posts: 2,207
    #2 looks like periwinkle. I may be wrong though :-(
    Oxford. The City of Dreaming Spires.
    And then my heart with pleasure fills,
    And dances with the daffodils (roses). Taking a bit of liberty with Wordsworth :)