Forum home Garden design

Plant templates or app

Good afternoon,

Im having trouble with designing a garden not knowing how the plants would look like next to each other. Can anyone help with whether there is some sort of app, software or even better templates to use. 

I'm also struggling with knowing how much space to leave. 

Thank you in advance for the help.

Sam 

• KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,735
    There is no substitute for placing plants on the ground, and seeing how they look next to one another.  In my experience, technology usually gets on the way of this.

When planning our planting schemes, we write the name of each plant on a post-it-note (simple, I know), and lay these out on a large sheet of cardboard or paper in the layout that we think might work.  We try to keep the scale approximately accurate.

For new plants, we do some research into the eventual size of each plant. Once we have done the initial layout on paper, we take it into the garden to compare it to the real space.  Once we are happy, we place the plants (in pots) on the ground, based on our plan, and start planting.

We rarely stick exactly to the plan.  The best way of really figuring out what works is to place plants beside each other, and then move them around.  Even when this is done, it's not unknown for us to dig some things up a few days/weeks later, and to reposition them.  Why not try this, it's simply and very inexpensive. 
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,811
    KeenOnGreen is spot on.

https://www.worldofbooks.com/en-gb/books/dk/rhs-new-encyclopedia-of-plants-flowers/9781405300575?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIy4vBtYfE7gIVlYBQBh3icAcMEAQYAiABEgLse_D_BwE

Start by buying this and when you are happy you know enough chose some plants and buy them.

The spacing's required will be either in the book or you can find out from the internet

The whole idea of gardening is that you work with Nature and not with technology.

Good luck with the process and send us some photos when the garden is set up !!
    Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,507
    Crocus website does ready made borders so that might help you or some on line suppliers often have a "Looks good with" suggestions, I think Ballyroberts do.
    Rule of thumb when planning a border is to have a thriller, a filler and a spiller! Or tall, medium and short ground cover.
    I usually start with deciding colours, do I need sun lovers or more shade lovers. 
    Shrubs should be spaced well apart but most perennial plants can be closer as you can always lift and divide in later years.
    In the 50 years I've been gardening I never get it right but I rather enjoy rearranging the plants, even trees can be moved in their first couple of years. Been with my current garden 3 years and one tree is in its 3rd and definitely last position