Forum home Plants

Clematis Question

CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,457
I moved several clematis at the start of last year in preparation for a new fence.  Good job as the beds got blitzed!   I plan to move them back this spring to grow up the new fence but I went to look at them today and they're starting into growth.  

I've cut them back to two good buds.

Anyone suggest when the best time to move them will be?  They are in an open fairly dry sunny position temporarily and will be going home to a north east facing fence bed but have their heads in south west aspect.

Glad of any discussion/guidance.  Bit worried about frosts but don't want to leave it too late and have to move fresh new growth.

• Sooner rather than later would be my advice and you have done the right thing by cutting them back, but I would have done that as part of the moving process.  I wouldn't worry about frost - aren't they already outside?  Just don't move them if the ground is frozen. :)  
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,457
    Right.  I only cut them back today so can move tomorrow thanks Bob, just needed reassurance.  You know when you have a plan then wibble!! 😁
    Oh and I'm trying tons of cuttings from the bits I cut back.  Might work, might not?  If all else fails I buy new ones.  Never sure what drives us gardeners, just hate to see anything die! Self imposed stress ha ha!
    Following up in case it's useful to say that the move of the clematis was a success, they're all getting into growth in their final locations.  The cuttings however looked very promising to start but have each failed over time.

Gotta try or you don't learn! 😁
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,690
    They're not very easy from cuttings at the best of times (I've found), but they'll layer if you're patient.
    "What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour". 
    Three years patient so far with a clematis alpina markhams pink that had a leggy bare stem that looked ideal for layering.  It hasn't rotted but still not shooted.  Maybe soon? 😁