Forum home Plants

Shrub for partial shade

I’m new at gardening. I’ve got a gap at the back corner of my garden. I’d like an evergreen shrub, good for pollinators and birds, evergreen. Up to 1.5 - 2 metres in height.  I want to be able to buy and plant it now. Has anyone got any ideas please. 

• SophieKSophieK Posts: 244
    Evergreen, blossoming and good for pollinators or birds is not that easy
    Camellia if you have acidic soil.
    Hydrangea, some are semi-deciduous or evergreen
    Viburnum davidii
    Ceanothus
    Osmanthus
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,709
    edited January 2021
    Holly.
    Ilex bacciflava is different..yellow berries.

Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • Bright starBright star Posts: 1,153
    How about Sarcococca Confusa, (sweet box)its a winter flowering- December to March evergreen shrub, good for pollinators and has a lovely scent.
    Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,006
    Have a look at forms of viburnum tinus and escallonia, both good for pollinators and partial shade.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,754
    Could you indicate the type of soil you have [heavy clay, sandy etc] and whether it's wet or dry @francesredcliffe?  That makes it easier for suggestions too.  :)
    The aforementioned Escallonia will be fine in a drier site.
    I don't know of any evergreen Hydrangeas - all deciduous, but they need damper conditions. 
    If you have neutral to acidic soil, and it doesn't dry out too much - Pieris, Rhodos/Azaleas and Camellias will be fine. Most will grow to a good size, but they grow wide as well, so it depends what space you have width wise. 
    Pyracantha, Mahonia and Berberis will grow in shadier sites too. Not all berberis are evergreen, but they are all very good for wildlife.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Hi all. Thank you so much for your replies. Fairygirl - the soil is not heavy or sandy and I believe it’s neutral. It’s a new garden we made last year so added a fair bit of compost to the top soil. It had a euphorbia in that space but was so leggy I took it out. It’s near a fence, but has quite a fair bit of room to grow (although I may need to prune if it spreads too wide). I’ve started to research all your answers. I really appreciate the suggestions. Thank you. 
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,681
    Cotoneaster is good for pollinators and birds do go for the berries too. There are several species ranging from ground cover to tree-like shrubs over 4m tall.

See the source image

See the source image
    "What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour". 
  • chickychicky Posts: 10,402
    I’ve just planted a Choisya in partial shade - I thought it needed full sun, but heard it does well in shade too.  Looking forward to the scent (its just outside our back door).