Forum home Plants

Alternative Plants to Auricula Theatre

welshcakewelshcake Posts: 118
I'd love to create something that has a similar look to an Auricula Theatre (see pictures) but with alternative flowers that are easier to look after and can stay in one spot :)  They would be on a west facing wall that gets direct sun in the afternoons and evening.  What bright/jewel coloured flowers do you think would be suitable to put in small terracotta pots in this way?

• The obvious one would be primulas and maybe some small bulbs for early spring interest. Nothing will last a while year in a display context like that. I've seen people growing coleus for the summer. Also some small pelargonium cuttings would offer interest and some flowers. Plenty of small ferns that can take drier conditions and sun. 

But when it comes down to it...an auricula theatre without auriculas will look a bit daft. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • LTobyLToby Posts: 224
    Polyanthuses with various colours are lovely as they bloom several times a year and evemn during Winter, just get the evergreen cultivars that will enjoy dappled sun areas. When using Polyanthus, consider the height of their flower - with that your shelving must adjust to their heights so they will look pretty like an auricula theater - when done, you would call it Polyanthuses Theatre and not auricula.
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
  • welshcakewelshcake Posts: 118
    The obvious one would be primulas and maybe some small bulbs for early spring interest. Nothing will last a while year in a display context like that. I've seen people growing coleus for the summer. Also some small pelargonium cuttings would offer interest and some flowers. Plenty of small ferns that can take drier conditions and sun. 

But when it comes down to it...an auricula theatre without auriculas will look a bit daft. 
    Thanks very much for all those suggestions.  It’s more the look of flowers in small pots that I’m trying to create (to put some interest on a boring wall) rather than fake an auricula theatre so hopefully it will look pretty when it’s done
  • Janie BJanie B Posts: 951
    I have had a pansy theatre this autumn/winter! 
    Lincolnshire
    LToby said:
    Polyanthuses with various colours are lovely as they bloom several times a year and evemn during Winter, just get the evergreen cultivars that will enjoy dappled sun areas. When using Polyanthus, consider the height of their flower - with that your shelving must adjust to their heights so they will look pretty like an auricula theater - when done, you would call it Polyanthuses Theatre and not auricula.
    Thanks so much for the suggestion and the tip about the shelf height.  Polyanthuses are really pretty and loads of different colours so that could work really well.  I shall do some research!
    Janie B said:
    I have had a pansy theatre this autumn/winter! 
    Ooh yes pansies - I bet they look really pretty
  • As long as you can get some shade....what about reconsidering including some auriculas? 

While the show varieties may need to be moved and sheltered, there are tougher varieties out there.

Border auriculas for example can be grown in borders and left out with no need to be moved? 
    As long as you can get some shade....what about reconsidering including some auriculas? 

While the show varieties may need to be moved and sheltered, there are tougher varieties out there.

Border auriculas for example can be grown in borders and left out with no need to be moved? 
    Thanks for that information.  I'll have a look at some tougher varieties that might be more in line with my gardening skills :) 
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,782
    If it's a sunny site, and they're going to be in terracotta pots, most primulas and polyanthus will need a lot of attention to keep them thriving.
    They like moist conditions, and that would be a bit on the hot and dry side in that situation. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,007
    Why not go for something like houseleeks/sempervivums which now come in a wide range of colour and form and wouldn't mind sitting in small pots on a display for months at a time and would need very little care assuming you go their compost mix right at the start?

Must be lots of alpines that would do the trick too and give you flowers and pong - dwarf dianthus/pinks etc.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw