Forum home Plants

Pruning an indoor rose

ErgatesErgates Posts: 2,896
Very grateful for advice on how to prune this indoor rose. It’s my daughters favourite, but don’t know what variety it is. How far down should she cut it? Can anyone mark up the picture for us?
thanks

• BijdezeeBijdezee Posts: 1,484
    It should really be outside. There are no indoor roses. But, to answer your question I would take 2/3rds of the top growth off. Remove any crossing, diseased or damaged growth. Try to keep it open in the centre as you will get more air in there and thus less chance of fungal disease like black spot. 

If you are going to put it outside, where it should be, choose a sunny spot and give it a feed. If you are keeping it as a house plant then good luck, not sure how it will do kept inside.  :)
  • ErgatesErgates Posts: 2,896
    Thanks very much. I’ll pass that on. I’ve not been very successful with roses, I suspect I’ve been too reluctant to cut off what looks like healthy growth and ended up with straggly plants that give up the ghost. 
    Will it be too cold to put it straight outside now, should it need to go to a ‘halfway house’ first?
  • NollieNollie Posts: 7,511
    Sometimes miniature/patio roses are sold as ‘indoor roses’ but Bijdezee is right there is really no such thing, plus gives good pruning advice, be brave! How big is the pot? If going outdoors where it should be, might be a good idea to repot it into a bigger one. Use a loam-based potting soil such as John Innes No.3 or similar, which has more oomph and is better than just compost as the latter has limited nutrition. Roses are tough plants, but it might be an idea to acclimatise it a bit by keeping it against a warm, sheltered, sunny wall at first. Roses in pots are more vulnerable than those in the ground so do need plenty of water plus an inorganic feed like miracle gro 2-3 times a year during the growing season is best for pots.
    Mountainous Northern Catalunya, Spain. Hot summers, cold winters.
  • ErgatesErgates Posts: 2,896
    Thanks for all the advice, will pass that on. Hopefully it will survive and flourish.