Forum home The potting shed

Chelsea Flower Show postponed to September

https://www.countryliving.com/uk/news/a34460466/chelsea-flower-show-2021/

This should be interesting, with completely different plants on show.

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,227
    I saw an interview with Joe Swift saying much the same. Wonder if there will be daffodils and narcissi?
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,204
    I hope not, altho my garden does have autumn daffs.

This is an extract of the RHS president's announcement to members:-

We have done our utmost to ensure the Show could happen safely in May with numerous health and safety measures such as reducing visitor numbers and spreading the Show over an extra day.  However, with the coronavirus rate currently as high as it is across the UK and no guarantee on what tier London may be in over spring, we have a responsibility to everyone involved in the Show to delay the 2021 RHS Chelsea Flower Show to later in the year, when millions more people will have been vaccinated and it is more likely that the levels of infection will have reduced substantially. This is disappointing for you and for us as we were all looking forward to May, but safety is our number one priority and we look forward to welcoming many of you in September.

The RHS will be in touch with everyone who has purchased a ticket for RHS Chelsea Flower Show in the next couple of weeks.  Ticket holders will be able to defer to the September dates or alternatively request a refund if unable to attend.  There will also be an option to donate the value of booked tickets if visitors are unable to attend in September and would like to support the charitable work of the RHS, which we would be very grateful for in this challenging time of substantial financial loss. We are asking that ticket holders please refrain from contacting us immediately so that we can handle this situation as swiftly as possible.

As with the planning for the event in May, RHS Chelsea Flower Show in September will be spread over six days instead of five, with the same reduced number of visitors, another first in its history.  There are many further coronavirus safety precautions being put in place for exhibitors, everyone involved in the show, visitors and RHS staff and volunteers.

We hope that many of you will be able to join us at this historic September RHS Chelsea Flower Show. It will be different to the usual spring event and will celebrate the best of autumn horticulture, with many seasonal highlights including Salvias, Asters, Dahlias, grasses and fruit and vegetables.  As well as looking back at the RHS’ historic Great Autumn Show for inspiration, we are excited about the ideas exhibitors will have to create spectacular autumnal gardens and displays.   Exhibitors currently in the May cancelled Show will be offered the opportunity to be at the autumn RHS Chelsea Flower Show.

We will once again have RHS Virtual Chelsea Flower Show online, during the May show week, which was incredibly popular in 2020.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 2,912
    I have a held over ticket for afternoon entry. As sunset will be at 7.00 pm I asked if the earliest entry time for such tickets was going to be brought forward. It is under discussion, the RHS said, but no decision has been reached
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,242
    Thank heavens I've never felt the need to go to Chelsea 😂 the very idea of looking at garden sets over a rope seems so inert...
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,227
    Just received an email saying that Malvern Spring show has been cancelled. Not really surprised if l'm honest. 
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 9,727
    I am fascinated by how the designers will have to re think everything this year, a silver lining.
    Southern trees bear a strange fruit
    Blood on the leaves and blood at the root
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 3,713
    Shame about Malvern it’s a favourite of mine as not too far away. 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,204
    Isn't there usually and autumn show too?  Or at least an RHS and plant sellers presence at the 3 counties Autumn show at Malvern?   Maybe not this year as the dates will clash with the postponed Chelsea show but in normal years.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,339
    Obelixx said:
    Isn't there usually and autumn show too?  Or at least an RHS and plant sellers presence at the 3 counties Autumn show at Malvern?   Maybe not this year as the dates will clash with the postponed Chelsea show but in normal years.

The Harrogate Autumn Show is planned for the weekend before the postponed Chelsea (this year at Newby Hall instead of the Great Yorkshire Showground). It's not an RHS show, although they usually have a presence there so maybe there's some affiliation. https://www.flowershow.org.uk/autumn-flower-show-2021