Forum home Garden design

Vegetable patch location next to a pond

I’m creating some new beds but can I locate them next to a pond? Is this wise?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,174
    Hi and welcome to the forum @jdeaves 😊 

I can’t see a problem as long as you don’t use pesticides, herbicides or slug pellets. 

Frogs will come out of the pond in the evening and search for slugs amongst your lettuces ... sounds good to me. 

😉 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601
    There are two issues to consider, I think. First is access. You will be endlessly irritated if you cannot reach all parts of the bed at all times, sometimes with heavy garden tools or a wheelbarrow, and so on. The second is the ground itself. Is this a natural pond in a wet area? If it is it may not be suitable for the planting you wish to use and could become really boggy and unattractive from frequent assaults by muddy boots.
  • Thanks Guys for the advice. The pond isn’t located in a natural wet area fortunately. The garden is fairly small anyway so we don’t need that much heavy equipment whilst working on the vegetable patch. Everything is in easy reach if the tool shed. But many thanks for all the advice. 
  • rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 814
    Will there be sufficient space between the two that if you trip over tending the veg bed you won't fall in the pond? Do you have small children who you want to engage with veg growing? If so, placing it next to the pond is quite risky.
  • Mark-EMark-E Pontypridd, WalesPosts: 179
    Our pond is next to our veg patch, we have a small mesh fence between them with some hedge plants along it. Our overflow from the pond runs into the veg patch. We have goldfish in the pond and we have never had any problems.
  • Thanks Guys. There will be enough room between the pond and the raised beds and we will cover the water with a steel mesh  grill for protection against any children getting too inquisitive!