Forum home Plants

Bulb concerns

Hi everyone

I planted this Coniferand surrounded it by daffodil and tulip (tbh I can't remember if they are tulip or crocus) bulbs roughly about 2-3 weeks before Christmas, however there's no obvious sign of the bulbs shooting.

Should I be watering more or was it a mistake to combine bulbs and a conifer in the same planter?

As always your thoughts are appreciated ☺️

Thanks
Carol

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,008
    December is a bit late for daffodils and crocuses but OK for tulips..  The bulbs will be taking time to grow roots down into the compost to anchor them and take up water before the divert energy to growing their shoots.

Make sure the pot doesn't dry out but isn't waterlogged either and protect it from frosts as the compost in a pot will always be a bit colder than deeper soil in a bed.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,008
    Left in the ground, daffs start putting out roots in August so December is definitely late but not a disaster.  Just means patience is needed as well as care with watering and protection from freezing.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw