Forum home Garden design

Miscanthus

Im trying to create a planting design for a section of my garden (Scottish Borders). Attached are 2 photos (1) overall garden (almost) (2) area for planting which is between the dry stone wall and the horizontal path. You can see 3 stipa gigantea towards the right just below the horizontal path which will give you a scale for the planting area. I plan to remove some of the shrubs such as the hebes and replace with large grasses in groups and by repetition. Miscanthus is one of my favourites along with stipa gigantea. 
I would be interested to know some of your favourites and why - (a) miscanthus from this list and (b) any other large grasses (NOT PAMPAS)? 
Miscanthus Kleine Fontane
M. Flamingo
M. Malepartus
M. Silberfeder
M. Ferner Osten
M. Punktchen
M. Kleine Silberspinne
M. Ghana

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,690
    I'd suggest the obvious variety missing from your list is M.giganteus. 
    They easily reach 2.5 - 3m tall each
    Devon.
    M. Morning light is another not to be omitted. 
    Devon.
  • I'm planning a new area of the garden too and ordered some grasses from Crocus today that are in their sale, 50% off for 2lt plants
    I'm planning a new area of the garden too and ordered some grasses from Crocus today that are in their sale, 50% off for 2lt plants
    do they give mortgage advice too? 
    SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO expensive. ! 

https://www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/miscanthus-sinensis-morning-light/classid.2000012665/

£8.99 for a 9cm pot !!!
    Devon.
  • Mary AnneMary Anne Posts: 118
    Thanks Sam...I will check them out...what did you order? 
    Do you know about this nursery....https://www.knollgardens.co.uk lots to choose from....and quoted in my ref book...Designing with Grasses by Neil Lucas
  • Hakonechloa macra and Hak macra Nicolas, Calamagrostis brachytricha. All 2Lt at 8.49
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,039
    edited January 2021
    I would probably want to restrict the number of varieties by eliminating some that are too similar to the others - go for the best of each 'type'. Other larger grasses to consider, Calamagrostis 'Karl Foerster' or 'Overdam', Molinia 'Transparent', Panicum 'Squaw' etc.

Don't forget some giant perennials to go with the grasses as well, Eupatoriums and Persicaria polymorpha.
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,756
    Miscanthus Ferner Osten - nice, but very short, only about 2ft high. 
    Calamagrostis Karl Foerster - our favourite grass, looks stunning in mass planting
    Calamagrostis brachytrycha - forms a wide dome, so you need lots of space around it (and it self seeds a lot)
    Anemanthele lessoniana - lovely rusty colour, lovely feathery flowers

They are not grasses, but I would include Opheopogon nigrescens, Carex oshimensis Everillo and Uncinia rubra/uncinata, for dramatic colour.  We have a lovely dwarf Pampas (Cortaderia Splendid Star), which has variegated white/cream foliage, and not the monster that is the standard Pampas.  

Love your garden, it's like a amphitheatre; do post some photos of it in Summer!
    Thanks KeenOnGreen....your suggestions are lovely and will extend my options! Keepsafe.