Forum home Garden design

Next steps

As my plot has been covered for almost a year my second question is do i remove the weed control or leave it down and make raised beds? if I make raised beds what do i fill them with?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,177
    What’s the soil like?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• porterd695b35GfbTTporterd695b35GfbTT Norfolk Posts: 8
    My first answer would be it's dirt, then my question would be what am i looking for? There is no clay in it as i am aware but it does have lots of stones as they always appear when it rains.
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 2,618
    What facilities does your allotment site offer? Some organise bulk delivery of well rotted manure, spent mushroom compost or council green waste compost which everyone can share. Get lots of that on in place of the weed control.
    Your fellow allotmenteers can tell you about the soil and you can back that up with some simple soil tests if you like. I wouldn't obsess about it though, just add as much organic matter as you can.
    What is the water supply like? Make sure you can collect it from your greenhouse roof and get some troughs so that you have some stored where you need it.
    Personally I wouldn't bother with raised beds unless you need the height for mobility reasons.
    If you don’t mind me asking, whereabouts roughly in Norfolk ... that’ll give me a clue.  We’re just southwest of Norwich on very freedraining gritty loam ... the underlying chalk is near the surface and the soil is very ‘hungry’. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

If you don’t mind me asking, whereabouts roughly in Norfolk ... that’ll give me a clue.  We’re just southwest of Norwich on very freedraining gritty loam ... the underlying chalk is near the surface and the soil is very ‘hungry’. 
    I am in north norfolk near kings lynn
    steephill said:
    What facilities does your allotment site offer? Some organise bulk delivery of well rotted manure, spent mushroom compost or council green waste compost which everyone can share. Get lots of that on in place of the weed control.
    Your fellow allotmenteers can tell you about the soil and you can back that up with some simple soil tests if you like. I wouldn't obsess about it though, just add as much organic matter as you can.
    What is the water supply like? Make sure you can collect it from your greenhouse roof and get some troughs so that you have some stored where you need it.
    Personally I wouldn't bother with raised beds unless you need the height for mobility reasons.
    I'm not sure what facilities the allotment offer but I will ask around and see what I can find out, the water has to be collected from run the off, from your own sheds and green houses. 
    I don't know any gardens in that area, but this may help you find out about the type of soil you have  http://www.landis.org.uk/soilscapes/#