Forum home Plants

Garden beds

Planning out my my beds any ideas for plants beds are only 2 ft wide and 25 ft long 

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,700
    The depth is quite narrow so, it's best to keep with small plants. You may need to stake plants to stop them from flopping into the lawn. Geraniums, Violas, Heucheras are good plants that don't flop too badly. 

You have planted a lot of plants already. Whilst they look a bit sparse now, in a year or two, they will all get wider and taller. To create impact, you may need to either create big clumps or repeat-plant all the way round. If not, it is difficult to create height and good contrast between plants.

Also look into tall airy plants that can add some movement and height against lower growing plants. Verbena Bonariensis and Knautia Macedonica are two examples of plants needing very little base space, but can add some colour and height.
  • Hi sorry these plants where already in the beds , I don’t mind taking them out and starting again I could also make the beds wider 
    The depth is quite narrow so, it's best to keep with small plants. You may need to stake plants to stop them from flopping into the lawn. Geraniums, Violas, Heucheras are good plants that don't flop too badly. 

You have planted a lot of plants already. Whilst they look a bit sparse now, in a year or two, they will all get wider and taller. To create impact, you may need to either create big clumps or repeat-plant all the way round. If not, it is difficult to create height and good contrast between plants.

Also look into tall airy plants that can add some movement and height against lower growing plants. Verbena Bonariensis and Knautia Macedonica are two examples of plants needing very little base space, but can add some colour and height.

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 12,457
    If you can make the beds wider that would be a good start l think. Do you know what the existing plants are and are there any you'd like to keep?
    If you can give a bit more information such as is the site sunny or shady, also are you thinking of high maintenance or things that basically take care of themselves without too much difficulty, this will help with the advice  :)
    @Borderline 's suggestion of adding height is a good way to go. 
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,426
    Another vote for widening the beds! And maybe consider rounding off the corners of the lawn, to give you deeper planting areas in the corners so you could have a few bigger shrubs or small trees to add height. It would make the mowing easier too.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • Ditto on widening the beds--that will be the single thing you can do that would improve things I think.

As Borderline says, you have already got a good bit in there, so it's worth holding fire to see what is there. If the beds are wider you could then rearrange the existing plants, putting the short-growing ones such as the Carex (sedge) at the front, and having some taller things behind. I can definitely make out at least one Agapanthus, and you could use a number of different perennials in the spaces--things like hardy Geraniums, Asters, and Bergenias for the front to give contrast with the grassy and strap-like leaves... it all depends what your soil and conditions are like, and what effect you want to create.

The other thing to think about just now is whether you intend to put in any shrubs, for example the odd rose or flowering shrub, to go along with your perennials and break up the flat line of the wall and the field beyond. As the low wall is charming I wouldn't go overboard with that, but having a few shrubs would add interest. Things like Viburnum, Weigela, Cotoneaster, Hydrangea would work.
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,700
    Since they are not your choice of plants, take time to check which ones you like. What is the soil like? Free draining or wet and sticky in the winter...Recommending plants can be difficult. You may need to flick through magazines, check on-line for styles of gardens/plants. For instance, there are a lot of Ornamental grasses in your borders. Do you like them? What colours do you prefer?

Agreeing with other posters' comments about your borders. To get the best of colour contrast, height and form, it is always more easier to achieve this with deeper borders. If you would like to add some more staple plants like shrubs in there, you need to think about a border depth of at least 2 meters deep. The border shape can also be changed to allow deeper areas for this. Straight lines are good too, so all depends on what you like.