Forum home Garden design

erigeron karvinskianus

I have 2 beautiful mounds of the above daisy in my front garden.   They are looking really healthy but am wondering if i should cut them back to ground level - not right now as too frosty and cold but bit later on - or leave them to increase in spreading and see what happens.
Thanks.

• FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    I would wait until frost has passed as the leafage adds some protection. In the spring, take out the straw, dead and brown bits etc. the rest should be fine.
  • gjautosgjautos BuckinghamshirePosts: 369
    I leave mine to spread. They've been in 4 or 5 years and i have never cut them back. I guess it depends how much room you have as they do spread and spread....
  • Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,214
    I do cut mine back in spring but that's because they're next to a path and I wouldn't be able to get past otherwise!
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 6,324
    In my cold corner of Devon (yes, really) they will start to die back in February/March time, at which point I cut them back. They always come back, but I'm glad of the greenery at this point in the year, so I leave them at the moment. Depends where you live whether you'll find they do the same for you, but if they don't, I'd wait til other things are springing before you chop them back
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    Yes, it depends where the OP is. In London is rarely gets cold enough for them to die back (where I am, at least).