Forum home Plants

French Nursery recommendations

NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,528
Aimed at @floralies, @Obelixx and any other ex pats really..

I used to love the range and plant quality of Le Clos d’ Armoise, now sadly deceased. I have used Promesse de Fleurs, but tbh, the quality I received was not great, root-bound, mildewed specimens that struggled to recover. Has anyone tried Leaderplant? Any other recommendations for perennials in particular, that can ship to Spain?

Doesn’t have to be France of course, could be Belgian, Dutch or anywhere..

• rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 814
    Hello @Nollie. Plantswoman Chris Marchant (Orchard Dene Nursery, as was) recommended https://www.plantagenetplantes.com/ to my friend who had a home in Provence. She was pleased with the plants she purchased from them.

Helpfully, it's run by a British couple, so not worries about language. Not sure if they ship to Spain but worth asking. 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,551
    HI @Nollie.  I've only used Promesse des Fleurs for fruit trees, shrubs and roses so far and have been pleased.  I bought some dahlias which failed but got a refund so service OK.  

There are very few perennial growers or sellers round here except for bog standard ones in 4" pots at exhorbitant prices compared to Belgium so I'm planning to sow this year.

Are you after anything in particular in case I have spare, viable seeds?
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,528
    Thanks @rachelQrtJHBjb, have just had a browse of their website and they do have a couple of euphorbias I was after and one or two things I haven’t seen elsewhere. They don’t say they ship outside France but will drop them an email and see. 

I have had some good shrubs from PdeF too, @Obelixx, just their perennials were a disappointment. Their packaging was pretty flimsy though, so a box of perennials arrived battered and bruised with soil spilt everywhere, which didn’t help! Thanks for the offer of seeds, but I don’t currently have much by way of the right space/light to grow them and that is always taken up with veg seeds!
    Well, Maybe once the veg are well on their way you'll have space for perennials whose timing is les critical.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • floraliesfloralies Haute-Garonne SW FrancePosts: 2,164
    @Nollie I am going to try these this year and they deliver to Spain:
    Senteurs de Quercy.
  • D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, Haute Vienne/Dordogne border. FrancePosts: 3,952
    I have used Leaderplant a couple of times in the last 12 months and have been very pleased with the goods @Nollie. They were extremely well packed, well boxed with a tightly packed straw like covering and no room in the box for movement. Also very speedy despatch. Healthy looking plants too. The only criticism I had, and it's only small, is that I had ordered multiples of several plants but only one label per plant type was supplied. Obviously I can fix it myself but I  found it just a little inconvenient. Other than they, good prices and good plants. 
    "To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul." — Alfred Austin
  • I’ve recently bought a house in France—I haven’t yet tried these nurseries out, but intend to because they have a good range of interesting plants:
    https://www.achat-vente-palmiers.com/en/
    https://www.pepiniere-aoba.com/gb/

https://www.pepiniere-bretagne.fr/

but I can’t speak to their quality! If you do try them, I’d love to know how you get on.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,528
    Excellent, thank you, @floralies and @Cambridgerose12, lots of new sources to pursue! @D0rdogne_Damsel that’s good news, thanks, Leaderplant are well priced and they have several basics I need in larger numbers (my go-to fillers like salvias and agastache) so I’m encouraged and will place an order. Congrats on your new French property 😊 
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,384
    I used Promesse des Fleurs for perennials in the past and the packaging was good then, some of the plants were on the small side, but all were healthy.
    I've been ordering roses from the special offers
    https://www.promessedefleurs.com/ventes-flash.html/  Doesn't matter if they are a bit weedy as I'll put them in the veg garden and plant them out in their places, which aren't ready, next winter. I've just moved house in France, so new garden.

Thank you for the info about Leaderplant @[email protected]_Damsel, I hadn't heard of them.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
    I've looked them up now and they're just an hour away, up near Nantes so maybe a wee detour next time we go there but that won't be for some time yet I fear.