Forum home Plants

Pruning clematis montana

I'm wondering when I can prune my large montana. As I understand it, it is a clematis group 1, so to prune after flowering, which I did last year and it grew back very strongly. It just looks so messy now, just a massive tangle of twigs and dead leaves, but am I right in thinking it will flower on last year's growth? So should I just leave it now, then prune after flowering again?

Thanks in advance  :)

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 14,944
    Yes, leave well alone until after flowering, then you can tidy it up.
    How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 12,456
    Agree, wait until it has flowered. From personal experience you can be quite brutal and cut it back hard. It may mean fewer flowers next year, but after that it's back to full flower mode.  :)
  • PosyPosy Posts: 3,601
    I'm afraid that clematis do look messy in winter. One of Montana's strengths is that it grows huge and flowers prolifically. It's a shame to try to tame it, just enjoy it for itself.
  • Thanks everyone. Luckily it's out of eyesight from the house, and it's too cold to spend too much time in the garden so I'm going to leave it alone :):)
  • BiljeBilje Posts: 790
    I've had a Clematis Montana, a pink one, Elizabeth for over 30 years. It grew on a 6 foot fence, entwined with accidental Ivy. Well the combination became too much to manage and we decided to have a new fence. I told the fencers just to cut the Clematis off at ground level, I'd take a chance. That was November 2019, now new fence 30 feet long, with support wires is half covered in Clematis and no ivy , hurrah. So yes you can cut them back hard at the wrong time of year. I'll not let it get to being 4 feet across at the top again haha. 
  • RubytooRubytoo Posts: 1,586
    Bilje said:I'll  TRY not let it get to being 4 feet across at the top again haha. 
    Bit of a liberty Bilje . But I fixed it for you :D
    I have two but not as old or grand as yours. They are so lovely, simple and smell so nice.

Growing up we lived in a tied cottage with other "staff" on the estate who also had tied cottages  / housing  including a gardener for the employers my mother worked for.
    On the gardeners cottage wall and roof was a montana clematis . I think was possibly  Elizabeth.
    I always remember the scent and sight.
    So when I grew up and got a place with my partner I bought a montana or two and enjoy them. Even though they do not really have a big proper space. I try... :D