Forum home Problem solving

Citrus : small kaffir lime plant - problems

My kaffir lime tree has dropped nearly all it's leaves (left out in cold greenhouse) We live in a cold house but the living room gets very warm. Nowhere has a constant heat. There is a tiny bit of new growth and some new leaves but they are quite wilty. Should I feed it, move it - would it live in a dark airing cupboard. I would love to save it! Thanks

• AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,420
    *Bump*  :)
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,426
    If it goes below 10°C it will loose its leaves. Unheated greenhouse is too cold for it. There is a chance it will revive in spring, but then you will have exactly the same problem next Autumn. It could survive winter in a cool hall, but it does still like some light even in winter, and fluctuating heat will cause leaf drop too.
  • Thanks for the above - it was what I expected - hard to find a constant heat in my house!
    Umm ANNID - sorry but no idea what bump means??
    It's a mixed bag when you get a lime. In some respects they are easy to grow, being the one citrus that flowers/fruits all year round.
    On the other hand they are picky in how much light, water, feed and heat they need. But they are VERY forgiving and will come back from the brink time and time again.
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,420
    edited January 2021
    @louise818, "Bump" was just me bumping your question back up the list. Sometimes people post a question and it slips through, and l couldn't answer it so thought l'd try that!
    Hopefully @phillipasmith2 and @purplerallim 's answers help a bit  :)
  • Thanks guys all very helpful - I have a 'normal' lime that has been near the end and revived and lives in a sheltered place outside happily. I just like to keep them going if I can...

Bump haha I just thought it was my age not understanding the lingo!:)
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337
    Hi @louise818 "I just like to keep them going if I can..."
    That sums up the complete experience I have had with trying to grow citrus - 'flourish' is not a word I have ever been able to apply when mentioning them.  Too hot, too cold, too humid, not humid enough, too much temperature variation between day and night, too much feed, not enough feed, "Oh, it's a bit draughty here, so I think I'll just drop all of my leaves.."
    You probably get the idea! :D
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
    That about sums it up @BobTheGardener 🤣
  • MikGXMikGX Posts: 4
    When growing kaffir lime indoor it needs around 60 F (16 C) or above temperature. I think it better to heat the greenhouse. 
    Love organic indoor garden. :) 
  •  "Oh, it's a bit draughty here, so I think I'll just drop all of my leaves.."

AHAHAHAHA...yes!