Forum home The potting shed

Disguise an ugly fence

My neighbour has (with planning permission 😱) put up an ugly wooden fence against a stone wall that shows a meter above the wall from our side. I can't put up trellis or grow climbers as the wall is his.
In front of the wall our side is a long, but not wide, herbaceous border. Any suggestions to detract from the fence.

• K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,508
    I've seen worse fences.
    Tall grasses or perennials will help.
    Maybe some free standing obelisk?
    Can you ask your neighbours whether they would mind you painting your side and/or attaching either trellis or vine eyes and wire to support some climbers.
    One drawback though is that during the winter the fence will be more visible.

• Thank you K67. The fence just seems to spoil the lovely wall! We sit in that area in the summer but cant see it from the property so tall perennials would be fine . It's finding something tall enough that isnt too wide as the bed can't be widened. Grass is a good suggestion. 
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 7,775
    I would suggest that you just learn to live it, after a couple of months, you will probably not even notice it so much. Tall grasses like Miscanthus like K67 says might be a good idea or his suggestion of asking the neighbours permission for attaching wires.

We had a four storey block of flats built right next to our 200 yr old boundary wall in our old house which was just awful to start with but we did get used to it in time.
  • PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,009
    It is a shame about the wall and the fence does draw the eye needs the line breaking up. Grasses is an excellent idea especially the miscanthus . maybe shrubs something like sambucus they tend to have a upright growth along with physocarpus lots to pick from. Few conifers to look into and berbies / mahonia 
  • Thank you. I looked up Physocarpus - did not know that plant . Looks ideal. Thank you for recommending the Miscanthus too. I've been gardening for years but there's always something else to learn!
  • Songbird-1Songbird-1 Posts: 2,958
    Could you perhaps anchor in some tall trellis on your side of the wall into the soil , paint it and start growing climbers up and over it? Honeysuckle, clematis etc?
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 2,912
    We’ve got two self seeded foxgloves growing on top of our stone wall. I’ve no idea how they cope with precious little water or soil but they seem none the worse for the experience. Perhaps add a little soil medium to the top of the wall and scatter foxglove and hollyhock seeds.

In front of your wall in the herbaceous bed a couple of stipa gigantea would not be out of place
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,022
    The fence will fade to a silvery grey after a year or two so won’t be as noticeable, but I think sinking in some fence posts your side to attach wires to grow climbers is a good idea. Most climbers tend to major on the top growth/can be trained that way so that can hide the fence more than the lovely wall if you still want to see some of the latter. Some salvias, such as the Guaranitica types (Amistad, Black and Bloom) grow tall and have a long season, often right through Autumn. The odd vertical punctuation with slim conifers/shrubs is a good idea as well. I’m not a fan of grasses but all a matter of personal taste!
  • robairdmacraignilrobairdmacraignil CorkPosts: 452
    Not a cheap option to buy in already started but one that is used to hide a higher up view while keeping the lower part of an area open is pleaching a row of trees, which basically involves keeping a hedge raised off the ground on the trunks of the trees that make up the hedge. I found this page that has some pictures that demonstrate. Some extra small trees or shrubs pruned to be wider on the level of the fence might also be effective at breaking up the view of it.

To grow a pleached hedge using young trees you grow into shape yourself could take years of careful pruning and trimming. I agree with the point above that the new fence will weather over time and look less intrusive but it might be worth talking with your neighbour about whether they intend on painting it and if so you may have an input on selecting the colour on your side to be more fitting with the rest of your nice garden view.